Honored Contributor

Re: Foot orthorics - custom made or not?

Hi @ROMARY

I always wore shoes as a child, my mother would not let us go barefoot. Mostly because of the conditions that existed in our Public Housing Projects Complex. Broken glass and just not a smart thing to do according to my mother's rules.

My feet are as "flat" as flat can be, absolutely no arch in either foot. I won't pretend to know the physics of human foot growth and development, that I will concede to Medical Experts in that field. I will say that I have never heard or read  of this. 

I attended many Clinics in relation to distance running/feet/knees/hips and the spine, given by many Sports Med Certified Podiatrists/Orthopod's and other experts in Exercise Physiology. I never heard any of them mention anything about "flat feet" and footwear worn, or not worn, as a child as a cause of this issue.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Re: Foot orthorics - custom made or not?

@ROMARY wrote:

Since I'm here, any comments re: young toddlers not wearing shoes?  I've been noticing that some parents believe that kids shouldn't be wearing shoes; that their feet are better off without shoes.   I'm thinking that growing feet and bones need support early in life so they won't develop 'flat feet'.  But, I'm old-fashioned, now-a-days. 

FWIW, I never went barefoot as a child, and only went barefoot as an adult at the beach and inside my house. I was diagnosed with pronation as a 6 year old, so it had nothing to do with going barefoot in my case. 

I developed Achilles tendinosis and plantar fasciitis as an adult, not having gone barefoot all my life except minimally.

Now that my conditions are well controlled and in remission I’m pain-free, BUT I can never go barefoot again, period. Five or ten minutes barefoot, under the wrong circumstances, and I could be in pain for the next six months.

I think some of it is heredity and genetics, like many health issues. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all