Super Contributor

Foot Pain - Recommendation for Metatarsal pad

I've seen a few post here about pain in the ball of the foot, which is something I am very familiar with. I've had a total of 4 surgeries (3 on left foot, 1 on right foot) for Morton's Neuroma.  My right foot is pain-free, but I still have issues with my left foot. I finally found a great metatarsal pad, which is helping me so much I want to share it with anyone else having issues. I found it on Amazon and very affordable. What I like about it is that it sticks to the skin on the ball of your foot instead of just sitting in the botttom of your shoe. I was skeptical, bit it stays where you put it and really spreads out those bones so you don't feel pain when you walk. It's called HappFeet Ball of Foot Cusions (self-sticking & reusable). 

While I breathe, I hope - - South Carolina
Respected Contributor

Re: Foot Pain - Recommendation for Metatarsal pad

@MercysMom  I've had  Morton's Neuroma on my left foot for maybe 15 years, and one was starting on my right foot.  The pain was so bad that it kept me up all night when it started.  I have flat feet, and I do believe my problems developed from wearing shoes that had no arch support and were too narrow and/or tight in the toe box (the doctor also told me my shoes were too small).  At the time, I basically discarded all my old shoes pair by pair.  Once I started wearing shoes with a roomier toe box and good arch support, my pain went away.  Now, I mostly wear Birkenstock, Alegria, Clarks, Earth, and Naturalizer (boots). I still jog 16 miles a week (been doing that for 31 years), but I always add extra arch supports to my running shoes.

Laura loves cats!
Super Contributor

@2blonde

That's exactly what caused mine. I need a very narrow width shoe in the heel area, but can wear a medium in the toe box. In order to keep shoes from falling off, I've had to buy narrow shoes. I worked retail in my younger days and was on my feet all day. Didn't really bother me until I gained weight when I was pregnant 22 years ago. I can actually wear just about any type of shoe now, except super high heels, as long as I wear a metatarsal pad. Just need those bones to spread out. Glad to hear you got relief. This type of foot pain really effects the quality of your life. 

Respected Contributor

@MercysMom  Yes, your feet sound a lot like mine.  I'm very small boned, so I do have an extremely narrow heel, but I also have bunions (also a product of flat feet), so I need plenty of forefoot width for that too.  I was so happy when the pointy toe shoes started going out of style and they began making more anatomically shaped shoes.  When I was young and the shoes were pointy, I needed a 9-1/2 narrow.  Well in those days, they were nearly non-existent.  Now, with better constructed shoes, my go-to size is a 9.  I find with that size I can still wear the M width and usually my heels don't slip very much.

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MercysMom, can you post a photo of the type you are using?  I just had a look at Amazondotca (I'm in Canada) and there are several kinds.  I broke the third metatarsal in my left foot two years ago and the fourth metatarsal this year.  I am a big walker.  I swam this summer in our lake for exercise rather than walk. I am still sore six months after the break.  I am back to walking and the discomfort is still there.

I am going for X-rays in the morning.  I'm not really optimistic that the X-ray will show anything but we have to do this before an MRI is ordered.  TIA.  LM

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom

Here you go.  HappyFeet Ball of Foot Cushions by HappyFeet. $12.95 for a pair.

HappyFeet Ball of Foot Cushions (Self-Sticking & Re-Usable) Metatarsal Cushions Great for Heels

Esteemed Contributor

@MercysMom, bless you!  Thanks!

do you wear them on both feet or just the problem foot?  Maybe you have issues with both feet?  LM

Super Contributor

@Lilysmom

I only wear the left one. I had 2 surgeries on my left foot by terrible doctors that didn't help before I found a great podiatrist. He removed the one in my right foot on the first try. My right foot is totally pain free. He finally found and removed the one in my left foot, but I was left with so much scar tissue from the previous 2 surgeries, he couldn't make me pain free. I've had that pad stuck to the ball of my left foot all day and I'm in 3 inch heeled boots. When I stand up, I can feel it putting pressure on my bones which is spreading them out. I can honestly say I've had these shoes on since 7:00 am this morning and have done lots of walking at work today and my left foot is pain free.  I hope it works as well for you as it has for me!  

Esteemed Contributor

@MercysMom, great!  I am going to look for them locally and have Amazon as backup.  Thank you!  LM

I've looked into convenient met pads that fit comfortably but most of them look like they slide off easily. Then i came across some metatarsal pads that attached at the top, preventing them some slipping out. Anyone use these before and do they feel comfortable? Here are some examples.

http://thereviewgurus.com/reviews/best-metatarsal-pads/