Esteemed Contributor

@littlemom3 wrote:

Make sure you are hydrated and get potassium.  I had the same thing and started taking Andrew Lessman Circulation & Vein Support and it's gone away.  If I forget to take the supplement for about 4 or 5 days, the cramps in my toes and legs come back.  It;'s sold on HSN.

Tried the Andrew L product and it didn't help.

Esteemed Contributor

I think this sounds very close to what I have been experiencing.

Peripheral neuropathy, a result of damage to the nerves located outside of the brain and spinal cord (peripheral nerves), often causes weakness, numbness and pain, usually in the hands and feet. It can also affect other areas and body functions including digestion, urination and circulation.

Your peripheral nervous system sends information from your brain and spinal cord (central nervous system) to the rest of your body. The peripheral nerves also send sensory information to the central nervous system.

Peripheral neuropathy can result from traumatic injuries, infections, metabolic problems, inherited causes and exposure to toxins. One of the most common causes is diabetes.

People with peripheral neuropathy generally describe the pain as stabbing, burning or tingling. In many cases, symptoms improve, especially if caused by a treatable condition. Medications can reduce the pain of peripheral neuropathy.

Respected Contributor

Water and more water during the course of the day.  Bananas, pomegranate juice and oranges are good sources of potassium.

Esteemed Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

I can't sleep at night with this foot issue.  Started in one foot and ankle now both are causing sleepless nights, walking and balance issues.  Finally seeing a neurologist but could not get an appt until MAY.  I slept a total of about 2 hours last night.  First thing upon waking up my toes are so cramped and distored in all directions I have to physically ease them back into position.  I look like a freak and it hurts.

Magnesium, Calcium and Potassium intake may need to be refigured.  A lack of either one of these could cause the leg cramps.  I get them but it's because I take a medication that causes the depletion.  I supplement magnesium CITRATE (easiest form to digest) and it has helped.

Talk to your doctor.  Never supplement potassium or magnesium w/o the direction of your doctor.  Too much can cause heart problems.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@rms1954 wrote:

I can't sleep at night with this foot issue.  Started in one foot and ankle now both are causing sleepless nights, walking and balance issues.  Finally seeing a neurologist but could not get an appt until MAY.  I slept a total of about 2 hours last night.  First thing upon waking up my toes are so cramped and distored in all directions I have to physically ease them back into position.  I look like a freak and it hurts.

Magnesium, Calcium and Potassium intake may need to be refigured.  A lack of either one of these could cause the leg cramps.  I get them but it's because I take a medication that causes the depletion.  I supplement magnesium CITRATE (easiest form to digest) and it has helped.

Talk to your doctor.  Never supplement potassium or magnesium w/o the direction of your doctor.  Too much can cause heart problems.

I have asked the various doctors I've been to (cardiologist, foot/ankle doctor, my regular physician if it might be diabetes and they said no.  Is it a simple blood test?

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 

A blood test called A1C can detect diabetes. You do not need to fast for that one.

Esteemed Contributor
When I have a foot or leg cramp I bite my cheek.
Frequent Contributor

I've had the same issues and my doctor recommended a product called "Calm".  It's a magnesium supplement you take before bed. Just start slowly....as anything with magnesium in it can have laxative effects. 

It helps relax your muscles at night......and helps you sleep better as well. 

Esteemed Contributor

@patbz wrote:

????

Regular Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

@patbz wrote:

????

Maybe something like accupuncture?  I know when I use to get headaches I would pinch between two fingers near the palm of my hand, sounds wierd but it did help.