Respected Contributor

Fluid retention and swelling.

I have had issues with fluid retention for years and I take a diuretic daily.  After losing weight and always drinking lots of water, the swelling was reduced but my left leg and ankle are always larger than the right.  I just got home from a short vacation that involved a short flight and some extended sitting during the days.  The swelling is so bad that it's painful.  My doctor has never seemed particularly concerned and always gives me a prescription for Lasix.  I'm concerned.  If you have any experience with this, please share how you handle it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Fluid retention and swelling.

@Trudey wrote:

The swelling is so bad that it's painful.  My doctor has never seemed particularly concerned and always gives me a prescription for Lasix.  I'm concerned.

If concerned, get a 2nd or possible a 3rd opinion.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trudey wrote:

I have had issues with fluid retention for years and I take a diuretic daily.  After losing weight and always drinking lots of water, the swelling was reduced but my left leg and ankle are always larger than the right.  I just got home from a short vacation that involved a short flight and some extended sitting during the days.  The swelling is so bad that it's painful.  My doctor has never seemed particularly concerned and always gives me a prescription for Lasix.  I'm concerned.  If you have any experience with this, please share how you handle it.

• If you just came back from a plane flight and did a lot of sitting while on vacation and have leg pain? I personally would go directly to an ER. It could be many other things but no way I would take that chance.

This is only what I would do, nothing more.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I have trouble with swelling when I fly so I always wear some knee-high elastic hose, and it really helps.  Watch your salt and sugar intake.  Sugar makes me more puffy than salt.  Get up and move as much as possible.  Is the swelling affecting your blood pressure?  It often does.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I have trouble with swelling when I fly so I always wear some knee-high elastic hose, and it really helps.  Watch your salt and sugar intake.  Sugar makes me more puffy than salt.  Get up and move as much as possible.  Is the swelling affecting your blood pressure?  It often does.

@Kachina624

TED Compression Hose are really good for anyone that takes flights of over an hour. Glad you take that precaution as bad things happen to many with lower leg swelling issues when they fly.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Trudey

Any chance you're a cancer survivor?

Respected Contributor

It doesn't appear to affect my blood pressure...it normally runs pretty low/normal.  The swelling is going down since I've been home and the pain and pressure has gone away I've never had cancer.  The only health issue I have is hypothyroidism.  Many years ago, I was diagnosed with Graves Disease and drank some type of radioactive liquid that killed my thyroid.  I have been on full thyroid replacement medication for over 20 years.  I will definitely get some compression socks/stocking before my next trip.  After many months of eating very low carbs and losing 50+ pounds, I went overboard with food while I was on vacation.  The salt and sugar could very well be a major contributing factor...tomorrow, I'm back to my low carb diet.

Regarding compression socks/stockings, where can I get some that don't cut off the circulation?  I've tried them once before and they were so tight and uncomfortable that I couldn't wear them.

Trusted Contributor

I would like you to rule out a blood clot. My father has had them twice & painful swelling of his leg was a symptom. Being that you recently had a plane trip & long periods of sitting also adds to my concern. Better safe than sorry- I'd get it looked at ASAP. 

Esteemed Contributor

Body Brushing helps to get the lymph system moving.

Also a very gentle bounce for 5 to 10 minutes on a rebounder helps.

Honored Contributor

Hmmm!!! My reply to @Tribesters seems to have been removed. Any Moderator up to telling me why?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)