Honored Contributor

Re: Fluid retention and swelling.

Trudey 

Does anyone know what tests are done to rule out Congestive Heart Failure?  I had a stress test last year (due to family history of heart disease) and everything was normal.

@Trudey

Not sure what type of Ultrasound your doctor ordered for you, but I can tell you there are different types. After my 2nd heart attack I was diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure(CHF).

This was done by doing an Echocardiogram(also called Ultrasound by some). CHF is measured by what is called the Ejection Fraction. This is a measurement, which I studied and learned about when presented with my diagnosis of CHF. It measures the percentage(%) of blood that can be Ejected with each heart beat from the Left Ventricular of your heart.

Mine was considered a fairly mild form of CHF because my percentage was about 36%, and normal is about 60%. I went on a program for CHF which limited my fluid intake per day. It was a total of 64oz, that includes ALL fluids in a day. I also had to avoid all high water content foods, such as watermelon and other high liquid content.

That coupled with increasing my exercise time and effort, which did not bother me a bit. The 64oz of fluid was tough for me because as an athlete and working for close to 30 years in 100+ degree manufacturing plant, I always kept myself well hydrated with water mostly.

After 3 months my Ejection Fraction was up to 39%, still not high enough to suit my Cardiologist. Another 3 months/another Echocardiogram and my Ejection Fraction was up to almost 45%. My Cardiologist said he was satisfied and told me I heart could handle more fluid without having to overwork, thus enlarge it.

I never went back to as much fluid as I consumed during my working and athletic events, but did drink more. I went back again in 6 months and my Ejection Fraction Percentage was still about the same? Had this annually for 3 years without much change, so he told me they were not necessary unless I had a problem. That was in 2012 and no problems so far.

Any questions about my heart or CHF experiences? Be glad to answer what I can.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynut. I'm sorry that you are dealing with these health issues.  My brother has CHF and his current ejection fraction is 15% and no chance of improvement.  He had a heart attack at age 45 and has a pacemaker and defibrillator.  My father's got down to 12% before he passed away.  I'm glad that yours improved.  Do you take lasix and if so how much?  I'm currently taking 40mg daily.  I'm currently taking it in the morning, but am considering changing it to later in the day when the swelling seems to get worse.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Trudey wrote:
 Do you take lasix and if so how much?  

@Trudey

I have never taken lasix for any of my heart or lung issues. When I was in the hospital for close to a month for my bleeding Right Colon, they did shoot lasix into my IV. 

Was Anemic because of all of the blood loss and needed about 20 blood transfusions and several Iron Infusions during that stay. They did 5 Colonoscopies during that time trying to find the site of the bleeding.

During that time I was always on IV fluids and only a "clear liquid diet", thus the big fluid buildup in my legs. Even though I walked 5-7 miles every day in the hallways. That  floor had markers on the walls to denote distances covered by patients.

Since walking didn't do it and the IV fluids were necessary, they gave me IV lasix several times during that month. That is my only experience with lasix.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)