Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@LTT1 wrote:

@SilleeMee 

No they did not mention Xofluza!

Would you please refresh my memory on this med?

@LTT1 

Xofluza is a newer Rx anti-viral med (released Oct 2018), single dose and it has to be taken within 48 hours of contracting the flu. It works where certain Tamiflu-resistant strains have occurred.

@LTT1 

@SilleeMee 

I got Xofluza for my flu.  It's also supposed to have fewer side effects than Tamiflu, at least that's what I was told.  And yes, there is a cut-off of 48 hours after the first symptoms that you can take it.  And if your insurance doesn't cover it, it's very expensive.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette 

Just curious...did you ask for an antiviral or was it recommended?

Trusted Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

@Sapphiregal  so basically this yrs vaccine isn't working then?  

@tsavorite  According to what that nurse said. A lot of people who got the shot are still getting the flu. Now granted, it is probably a milder case than you would have if you hadn't gotten the shot.

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Honored Contributor

Last year's shot worked in only less than 50% of people who got vaccinated. This season's efficacy has not yet been established...it's too early.

ETA - I should re-word that...the numbers of people who got vaccinated showed nearly 50% still got sick from the flu.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@geezerette 

Just curious...did you ask for an antiviral or was it recommended?

@SilleeMee 

It was "offered", but she didn't push it.  I was more concerned it may have morphed into pneumonia rather than with shortening the length of the flu.  Which, I'm not really sure it did, since I felt lousy for weeks!

Trusted Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Havarti wrote:

I went my whole life thinking the flu was a stomach thing that involved vomiting, diarrhea, aches & pains, fever, being tired and not wanting to eat or even smell any food.  Now, many decades later I learn that the flu is really more like a bad cold and involves coughing, sneezing, fever, aches & pains, as well as tiredness.  The thing I always thought was the flu is really called gastroenteritis.  I guess you are never too old to learn new things.  Did anyone else grow up with this misconception?

@Havarti Bad cold doesn't even begin to describe it.  You start to wish someone would dig you a hole in the back yard and throw you in it.

This is a good way of describing it, actually!

You really ache pretty badly, all over. You are so incredibly uncomfortable. Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

I heard that if you have to go to the emergency room....always mention that you think you are having a heart attack....that gets you right in rather than waiting for hours. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I heard that if you have to go to the emergency room....always mention that you think you are having a heart attack....that gets you right in rather than waiting for hours. 

@SeaMaiden   Call an ambulance. They put me in a bed in emergency right away.

Trusted Contributor

Just getting over the flu. It was a bad one. I got sick the night before Christmas. I ended up with fever of 102 most days and chills and aches like I've never experienced. So tired I could barely do what I had to do.  I've never really had a bad flu before. I still have a cough and runny nose. My hubby also had this one and it wasn't quite as bad for him but he is still coughing, too. 

Hope anyone going through this is better soon. That was a miserable time.

Honored Contributor

Medicaid patients always get treated first because it takes a long time to get the paperwork squared away and processed so their treatment gets paid for. Fair?...not hardly but that's how it works. If you're on Medicaid and call an ambulence then you get priority also.