Esteemed Contributor

DH and I got ours at end of August.  I checked with Pharmacist and he said no need to worry getting it early, especially since we get our flu shots religiously and there is some cumulative effect from that.  He also said there may be shortages later.

Valued Contributor

I'll get mine next month, October.

Super Contributor

Before you decide...call around to see if they have the Senior shot....places already out of them...

that is if you are of a certain age..

Super Contributor

I just got mine this morning at CVS.  Frankly, I was afraid supplies of the senior dose flu vaccine might run short here in Dallas.  Just following my intuition, no other reason.  Also, our COVID threat level was recently dropped for the first time since May, and my 7 and 4 year old grandsons are scheduled to return to the classrooms Oct 5.  Hoping for the best and preparing for the inevitable germ exchange.

Regular Contributor

It takes about two weeks after the flu shot to produce antibodies.  Flu shot lasts about six months BUT its effectiveness decreases over time -- so you have way more protection first month after shot than in month six.  So figure out when your part of the country normally gets hit with the flu.  On the west coast this usually means Jan or Feb, so waiting until Nov to get the shot is not viewed as unreasonable.

From the CDC's website:

"You should get a flu vaccine before flu viruses begin spreading in your community, since it takes about two weeks after vaccination for antibodies to develop in the body and provide protection against flu. Make plans to get vaccinated early in fall, before flu season begins. CDC recommends that people get a flu vaccine by the end of October. However, getting vaccinated early (for example, in July or August) is likely to be associated with reduced protection against flu infection later in the flu season, particularly among older adults. Vaccination should continue to be offered throughout the flu season, even into January or later."

Respected Contributor

Got mine about a week ago.  Usually wait until October but this year my doctor said more people will decide on getting the flu shot due to COVID.  I didn't want the pharmacies to run out or have shortages like has happened some years in the past.   Don't forget to ask for the 'senior flu' vaccine, if you're 65 or over.   

When I went to the pharmacy for the flu shot, the pharmicist said it was much busier this year than other years with people getting the flu shot sooner. 

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

I have a question and maybe you guys can help me here please...

I live alone and have no family. I get no visitors ever and I don't go anywhere except to pick up my food at curb-side.  In other words, I never get close to anyone or go anywhere where I could. My question is:  If you were in my shoes, would you get the flu shot?

Valued Contributor

Received mine at Publix supermarket on Friday. Nice to get a $10 gift card. Arm is still sore.

DH went in A few weeks ago. He was worried they would run out.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee  I would still get the flu shot.  Suppose you have to go to the doctor, Urgent care, dental office or ER unexpectedly or somewhere you might not ordinarily have to go.  Better to be safe than sorry. 

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

Thanks @ciao_bella . You made a good point about emergency situations.