Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I have a question and maybe you guys can help me here please...

I live alone and have no family. I get no visitors ever and I don't go anywhere except to pick up my food at curb-side.  In other words, I never get close to anyone or go anywhere where I could. My question is:  If you were in my shoes, would you get the flu shot?

@SilleeMee 

Yes, seriously, I would.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

I wait till mid October

Respected Contributor

I went to Walmart this morning to pick up a prescription and the lady ask had I had my flu shot. I told her I have already taken it. She said the have already ran out of the high dosage. 

Respected Contributor

@lovesrecess  AARP magazine had an article this month on flu vaccines and such.  They recommend getting your flu shot in October so as to be fully protected thru the flu season.  It is an interesting read and talks about vitamins also.

Honored Contributor

DH and I just got ours.  He was told by his doctor that this is the perfect time to get them.  It will take a week or 2 for the shot to work any way.  I think it's fine to go right now.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

I'll make an appointment to get mine in the next week or so. My local Walgreen doesn't require appointments, but it goes much more quickly if you make one. The folks at my PCP's office were perturbed that I refused it when I was there in early August, but my feeling was that it was too early then. Plus, they charge an "facility use and administration" fee that isn't covered by my insurance. When I go to Walgreen, it's covered 100%. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

We went to Costco for ours yesterday and there were quite a few others ahead of us waiting for theirs.

Respected Contributor

I will call Kroger Pharmacy next week and see if I can schedule the senior flu vaccine and the second pneumonia shot.  

Respected Contributor

I spoke to the pharmacist in the supermarket about this the other day. I explained that I wanted the regular shot despite qualifying for the senior shot because of concerns about side effects, and he said no problem. He also said they'd have plenty of vaccine in mid-October, when I planned to come in and get it. I've never had a flu shot in a supermarket, but hospitals are such cesspits of germs that I want to minimize my time in one. The pharmacist advised calling on the day I want the shot to make sure they have enough staff to do it, and advised against coming in the evening, when often just one person is there and it might be difficult.

Our flu season typically peaks in February and March where I live, so this should give me decent protection. I've never had the flu when I get a shot, and I've never had a shot earlier than October.

I think it's probably wise to get the protection even if you don't think you'll be exposed, because there's no way to predict events that might occur in the next few months that could lead to exposure.

Honored Contributor

My doctor sent a reminder for DH and myself earlier this week.  I went and got the shot this morning, the Xtra special Senior Flu shot and I haven't felt ANYTHING regarding it since getting it.  I agree, it's a little early but my concern is getting through some of the winter without catching the flu.  Then I'll see what to do.....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*