Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I have a question and maybe you guys can help me here please...

I live alone and have no family. I get no visitors ever and I don't go anywhere except to pick up my food at curb-side.  In other words, I never get close to anyone or go anywhere where I could. My question is:  If you were in my shoes, would you get the flu shot?

@SilleeMee yes I would get the shot- tis better to be safe than sorry.  

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I have a question and maybe you guys can help me here please...

I live alone and have no family. I get no visitors ever and I don't go anywhere except to pick up my food at curb-side.  In other words, I never get close to anyone or go anywhere where I could. My question is:  If you were in my shoes, would you get the flu shot?

My DH and I never get the flu shot, but then we don't have the health  issues that you do.  What are your views on being immune from Covid since you have had it?  

I would never tell anyone not to get a flu shot or any other medical procedure.  It is a personal decision.  I realize that you asked for our opinion.  If I was in your shoes and you live your life exactly the way you say, no.  Will you have to be going in for any follow up checks because of Covid?  If so, maybe. What did your doctor say.......as if I have to ask. Woman Wink

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

I don't get the flu shot, but I have noticed all over the place free flu shots, so I guess I don't understand the comment about not having an appointment available until November.  Is it because the doctor is the only place that has the senior shots?

I was in my Publix last week picking up a prescription and I heard the pharmacist discussing flu shots with someone.  I guess children used to need a prescription, but no longer do?  That's what it sounded like.  She said they were giving them all the way down to 4 years old.  The following day I was in getting my weekly groceries and I never heard so much screaming.  I'm not sure who finally made the decision not to give the shots to the kids.  i just heard the pharmacist tell them she wouldn't be giving them shots today.  No way would I have thrown such a fit when I was a kid.  

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs 

Yes, I know my doctors' visits cannot be avoided during this time. My GP said to get a flu shot now. I just don't want to go inside to get it! there are no drive-thru places for flu shots here. 

Having had covid, I am still not convinced that I may be immune to a re-infection. No one knows for sure about that part and there's too little data to support an answer about the immunity of covid survivors.

Honored Contributor

I'm taking my mom to get her flu shot on Friday.   

Honored Contributor

I get mine at school.  That's usually mid October.  I can get it anytime actually.  But I ususally get it then.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@tends2dogs 

Yes, I know my doctors' visits cannot be avoided during this time. My GP said to get a flu shot now. I just don't want to go inside to get it! there are no drive-thru places for flu shots here. 

Having had covid, I am still not convinced that I may be immune to a re-infection. No one knows for sure about that part and there's too little data to support an answer about the immunity of covid survivors.

Covid immunity....especially if it has mutated in any way.  I always feel like the flu shot is one or two seasons behind.....but that is my opinion.  

Whatever you do, stay safe! Heart

One other thought......the clinic I go to for my medical check ups NEVER mentions flu or pneumonia or shingles shots.  It is a preventive clinic.  They do chelation therapies and thermograms to name just a couple of alternative treatments they offer.  My PA did say that they are finding that Vitamin D may play an important role in Covid.  As a side note, he recommended colonoscopy over Cologuard.

@SilleeMee 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Trusted Contributor
@lovesrecess wrote:

I was planning on getting my flu shot this week, but SIL, who is my age,  said her dr said it is too early; the immunity from the flu would not last through the flu season and best to wait til end of October to get the flu shot. Are you putting off getting yours for another month? Am so anxious due to COVID I don't want to risk getting the flu and then, heaven forbid, have to deal with that at the same time. What's your plan for the flu shot? I hope they have already prepared to have enough of them this year.

@lovesrecess 

Regular or senior flu vaccine?

In my area, the senior vaccine is in short supply now, and may not be available, in your area, if you wait too long.

The Covid-19 virus is not going away any time soon.  You can contract  the virus any time, get sick, or possibly die.  Some say the Covid-19 virus will have a second wave in Winter.  At the same time as  the flu season.  That is not a good scenario.  Especially for the elderly.  

I, myself, am taking my flu shot Friday.   With my health care provider, it is by a scheduled appointment only.

Wishing you well, whatever decision you make.🙏🏼

~Please do your part.  Wear a mask, observe social distancing, wash hands. It is the patriotic, and right thing to do.~ 😷🇺🇸

Frequent Contributor

YES! SilleeMee

The flu can be anywhere and with you living alone you need to not get the flu.

That is my humble opinion

Respected Contributor

Recommendation may depend on where you live...the flu is always worst at the end of the season in my County so I always wait to mid to late Oct to get my shot.