Respected Contributor

Re: Flu shots- for those who DO get one

I usually get mine in mid October.  But I am going on a cruise in a couple of weeks and decided to get mine early.  People come from all over on a ship and it only takes one to have the flue to create an epidemic.

Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Financialgrl wrote:

I used to get mine free at the military command I worked till I retired.  They'd send over a few corpsman from the Army and we'd line up if we wanted one (they were required for all military).  Since retiring now get mine at either Target or Giant.  I used to travel when the kids went back to school and doctor said probably a good idea to get it early bc of that but if I'm not travelling I usually get mine late Sept or early Oct.

At the hospital, they set aside a day as "Flu Shot Day" and had RNs and the vaccine in the cafeteria all day. But the last several years they got very hard-nosed mandatory about it and would also make the rounds dept by dept, room by room, offering them.

They made it very difficult/uncomfortable for anyone who went into any public areas of the hospital to refuse the shots. If you went to eat lunch, for example, you had to wear a mask every minute except when eating/drinking.

It wasn't just a needlessly rigid hospital policy - it was tied into the county and state health dept mandates re flu shots for healthcare workers in patient care and public areas. 

It never bothered me, I always got the shots. But I had a supervisor (who eventually became the administrator of the major dept) who always refused the shots on a "nobody's going to force me!" basis. They made her wear a mask, too. It's to strongly limit people who have no medical reason not to get one deciding "can't make me." They may not be able to "make you", but they can make you darn sorry you keep refusing.

I support their actions. 

SIL is an RN and she gets one every year and said the same thing.  Also dad's last few months alive, his kidneys began to fail and he needed dialysis.  The dialysis center required that all patients have them and were giving them free. 

Respected Contributor

@CLEM- you definitely need to get one if u are gonna cruise.  Friends and I used to sail twice a year - Sept/Oct (kids back at school so less on ship) and Feb (to escape the cold).  All of our doctors used to tell us to get a shot 2 weeks before we sailed. 

Oh yeah, and especially for fall and winter sails, definitely wash your hands A LOT and use those Purell stations wherever you see them (mostly entering and exiting dining room).  Been on many ships with Norovirus outbreaks and NEVER got sick!

Valued Contributor

I get one every year.   I had one on Thursday and my arm is just now calming down. It felt like someone punched me in the arm and I have not felt well for a few days.  That is normal for me.  I used to be a social worker and needed it since I worked with so many people.  I kept it up and will continue to do so.

Respected Contributor

I got my flu shot today.  I usually get mine early.

Honored Contributor

@QVCPhobe wrote:

I get one every year.   I had one on Thursday and my arm is just now calming down. It felt like someone punched me in the arm and I have not felt well for a few days.  That is normal for me.  I used to be a social worker and needed it since I worked with so many people.  I kept it up and will continue to do so.

In many years, I never had a reaction to the "regular" flu shot, but the last few years having the quadruple-dose Senior shot, I get strong reactions, both local and systemic.

I'll be interested to see what happens this year. The first senior shot reaction was very nasty indeed. Last year's was unpleasant but slightly less severe. If this year's is slightly less still, then I guess your body starts "handling" them better with each subsequent one. That's what I hope for, anyway!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all