Esteemed Contributor

Re: Flu shots- for those who DO get one

@noodleann wrote:

I hope anyone saying they had "flu" here got tested for it and had documented influenza. Otherwise, you had what the CDC calls influenza-like illness (ILI), which might have been influenza and might not.

I have tested positive for influenza twice, and there was no recovery in a few days. It took months the first time to feel like my old self, and about six weeks the second time. The fatigue was overwhelming.

Because of my history, I usually get the shot. 

September appears too early for the shot. The CDC says:

"CDC and the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommend that flu vaccinations begin by the end of October, if possible. However, as long as flu viruses are circulating, it is not too late to get vaccinated, even in January or later. While seasonal flu outbreaks can happen as early as October, most of the time flu activity peaks between December and February, although activity can last as late as May. Since it takes about two weeks after vaccination for antibodies to develop in the body that protect against flu virus infection, it is best that people get vaccinated in time to be protected before flu viruses begin spreading in their community. Although immunity obtained from flu vaccination can vary by person, previously published studies suggest that immunity lasts through a full flu season for most people."

Also: "In adults, studies have not shown a benefit from getting more than one dose of vaccine during the same influenza season, even among elderly persons with weakened immune systems." 

There's also info on two vaccine options for people over 65, whose immunity may decline faster than younger people. 

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/misconceptions.htm

@noodleann, I'm one that said I got the flu last winter. I didn't get it documented, but I did consider if it was "flu lite." Since it only lasted about a week, it might have been so. It may have been a severe cold instead of the flu. However, it's the first time I've ever had that and it knocked me off my feet for a week.

The fact it only lasted a week makes me think it wasn't the real flu. It was so unusual for me b/c before that, I hadn't even had a cold in over ten years. I always attribute no colds due to lots of hand washing and keeping hands away from my face.

Respected Contributor

@febe1 wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

I hope anyone saying they had "flu" here got tested for it and had documented influenza. Otherwise, you had what the CDC calls influenza-like illness (ILI), which might have been influenza and might not.

I have tested positive for influenza twice, and there was no recovery in a few days. It took months the first time to feel like my old self, and about six weeks the second time. The fatigue was overwhelming.

"CDC and the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommend that flu vaccinations begin by the end of October, if possible. However, as long as flu viruses are circulating, it is not too late to get vaccinated, even in January or later. While seasonal flu outbreaks can happen as early as October, most of the time flu activity peaks between December and February, although activity can last as late as May. Since it takes about two weeks after vaccination for antibodies to develop in the body that protect against flu virus infection, it is best that people get vaccinated in time to be protected before flu viruses begin spreading in their community. Although immunity obtained from flu vaccination can vary by person, previously published studies suggest that immunity lasts through a full flu season for most people."

Also: "In adults, studies have not shown a benefit from getting more than one dose of vaccine during the same influenza season, even among elderly persons with weakened immune systems." 

There's also info on two vaccine options for people over 65, whose immunity may decline faster than younger people. 

@noodleann, I'm one that said I got the flu last winter. I didn't get it documented, but I did consider if it was "flu lite." Since it only lasted about a week, it might have been so. It may have been a severe cold instead of the flu. However, it's the first time I've ever had that and it knocked me off my feet for a week.

The fact it only lasted a week makes me think it wasn't the real flu. It was so unusual for me b/c before that, I hadn't even had a cold in over ten years. I always attribute no colds due to lots of hand washing and keeping hands away from my face.

@febe1, actually, a couple of people spoke of having flu with quick recoveries. I posted to make the distinction between real flu, which can kill you, and bad colds and flu-like illness, which can be horrible but not generally lethal. Colds these days seem to linger, which does raise questions of secondary infections, especially in vulnerable people.

Your habits are very smart. I am constantly washing my hands, but it's keeping my hands from my face that's a problem. I never touch my eyes with my hands, though, always use a tissue. Eyes are a vulnerable entry point for germs. That's why I think tightlining is such a risky beauty practice.

Esteemed Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@febe1, actually, a couple of people spoke of having flu with quick recoveries. I posted to make the distinction between real flu, which can kill you, and bad colds and flu-like illness, which can be horrible but not generally lethal. Colds these days seem to linger, which does raise questions of secondary infections, especially in vulnerable people.

Your habits are very smart. I am constantly washing my hands, but it's keeping my hands from my face that's a problem. I never touch my eyes with my hands, though, always use a tissue. Eyes are a vulnerable entry point for germs. That's why I think tightlining is such a risky beauty practice.

@noodleann, I use a tissue also for my eyes! I get teased all the time with the hand washing. My granddaughters have learned from me.

Another thing, I get away from anybody coughing around me or sneezing! I felt really bad losing my record of no-coughs for ten years. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

I usually do get a second shot....the flu is such a wild card! I heard to know when the darn virus mutates-which usually happens suddenly.

Last year, DH had it for two weeks, but he doesn't eat or rest the way he should.

I had it for three days-not fun, but I recovered quickly and it didn't turn into pneumonia....

Poodlepet2

Something for people to consider - if one has had the flu shot it's entirely possible to get a "mild case" of the flu or a greatly shortened duration. Although it prostrates many for long periods of time, it doesn't necessarily for people who have had a flu shot. Same with the shingles vaccine - if one has the vaccine and still gets shingles, they most likely won't have symptoms and duration as severe as someone who didn't get the vaccine.

I've had times, while working, that I had every typical genuine flu symptom, including those one typically doesn't see with a cold, and left work positive I was in for a two week+ bout of nasty. I would go home and feel like death warmed over for 3-4 days, but after that it would pass. I knew by the symptoms I had the flu, not just a cold.

I also had a flu that devastated me for 6 weeks, where I was off work for 3 weeks.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

I was tested by my pulmonologist-no taking chances here.

I did recover quickly....look with parainfluenza, at that time, I was not taking care of myself at all. I was obese-yes obese- and diagnosed with diabetes.I had ignored me-my health etc

I turned my life around-and it certainly doesn't happen for everybody-but yes, I tested positive for influenza......I had to work on my docs for not bringing me in to the hospital stat.....

Just take y o yeah doctors advice... ..things could have turned out badly, but it didn't. I was constantly monitoring oxygen says-DH- who has full training was checking my lung sounds three times a day.....

The first time? Yes-horrible.

Poodlepet2

Trusted Contributor

I live in North Carolina and my doctor recommends I get the shot in September. I specifically asked if September is too early and she said no. Maybe recommendations differ depending on where you live.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Respected Contributor

i have read that if you get it to early there less afective.

Trusted Contributor

We usually get ours in late September or sometime in October.

Read several articles online - and heard somewhere on TV - that the best time of day to get the flu shot is in the morning at or before 11. Doctors are baffled as to why this is, but studies have shown that people who get the shot in the morning produce more antibodies! 

In the past we have always gone after my husband gets home from work - but this year I think we will go around 10 am to 11 am some Saturday morning in October!! Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

I used to get mine free at the military command I worked till I retired.  They'd send over a few corpsman from the Army and we'd line up if we wanted one (they were required for all military).  Since retiring now get mine at either Target or Giant.  I used to travel when the kids went back to school and doctor said probably a good idea to get it early bc of that but if I'm not travelling I usually get mine late Sept or early Oct.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Financialgrl wrote:

I used to get mine free at the military command I worked till I retired.  They'd send over a few corpsman from the Army and we'd line up if we wanted one (they were required for all military).  Since retiring now get mine at either Target or Giant.  I used to travel when the kids went back to school and doctor said probably a good idea to get it early bc of that but if I'm not travelling I usually get mine late Sept or early Oct.

At the hospital, they set aside a day as "Flu Shot Day" and had RNs and the vaccine in the cafeteria all day. But the last several years they got very hard-nosed mandatory about it and would also make the rounds dept by dept, room by room, offering them.

They made it very difficult/uncomfortable for anyone who went into any public areas of the hospital to refuse the shots. If you went to eat lunch, for example, you had to wear a mask every minute except when eating/drinking.

It wasn't just a needlessly rigid hospital policy - it was tied into the county and state health dept mandates re flu shots for healthcare workers in patient care and public areas. 

It never bothered me, I always got the shots. But I had a supervisor (who eventually became the administrator of the major dept) who always refused the shots on a "nobody's going to force me!" basis. They made her wear a mask, too. It's to strongly limit people who have no medical reason not to get one deciding "can't make me." They may not be able to "make you", but they can make you darn sorry you keep refusing.

I support their actions. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all