Respected Contributor

Re: Flu shots- for those who DO get one

Hubby got a bad case of the flu one year the vaccine was scarce and we couldn't get flu shots.  We said never again - we'll get them no matter what even drive to another area if need be.    I've found it has lessened the colds I get and the severity of them as well.  My Mom felt the same way about not getting as many colds or as bad.  

Honored Contributor

I usually get my flu shot in late October when they give them at work but now that I work remotely from home, I'll have to get it from my own pcp.  They usually have a drop in flu shot clinic, I think that begins in September.  

Esteemed Contributor

I usually get  mine late Sept. from CVS; however, last year I got mine from Publix. They asked if I wanted the new extra strength for Seniors. I got it.

Two things new: Publix and the ex strength shot.

Results: I hadn't had the flu or even a cold for the last ten years. Last year I got the flu. It lasted about a week.

This year, I am going back to CVS and getting the regular shot. I'm going to play safe.

Respected Contributor

My doctor says now is to early to get the flu shot. He recommends mid October. 

Honored Contributor

I usually get one in October, so I'll have full immunity before the holidays.  Since I have a mid October trip planned this year, I'll probably get one in late  September.  

Trusted Contributor

I usually get mine at the end of Sept.

If I have a doctor's appt., I'll do it at the doctor's office, but if I don't, then I'll go to a pharmacy and get one there. 

Respected Contributor

I get mine as early as possible. I'm chronically on low-dose steroids which makes my immune system a little weaker. In 2015, I almost died from parainfluenza-a strain of flu that's pretty innocuous for people with healthy immune systems.

You should be in your absolute best health when getting the shot, and with fall allergy season looming, I can't really tell if sniffles are just sniffles or if I'm in a prodromal phase of a viral something or other.

Thanks for mentioning this: it's on my "to do" list THIS week!

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

I get mine as early as possible. I'm chronically on low-dose steroids which makes my immune system a little weaker. In 2015, I almost died from parainfluenza-a strain of flu that's pretty innocuous for people with healthy immune systems.

You should be in your absolute best health when getting the shot, and with fall allergy season looming, I can't really tell if sniffles are just sniffles or if I'm in a prodromal phase of a viral something or other.

Thanks for mentioning this: it's on my "to do" list THIS week!

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

@Poodlepet2, I understand your reasons for wanting to be "covered" early - but do you then routinely get a second flu shot in late Dec/January, to carry you completely through the season? If you get a shot now, you won't be well protected past January, and heavy "flu season" is usually late Dec/Jan-Mar.

It seems like every time I get a cold these days, I start out thinking it's an allergy, unsure until the cold "blossoms." 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

I usually do get a second shot....the flu is such a wild card! I heard to know when the darn virus mutates-which usually happens suddenly.

Last year, DH had it for two weeks, but he doesn't eat or rest the way he should.

I had it for three days-not fun, but I recovered quickly and it didn't turn into pneumonia....

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

I hope anyone saying they had "flu" here got tested for it and had documented influenza. Otherwise, you had what the CDC calls influenza-like illness (ILI), which might have been influenza and might not.

I have tested positive for influenza twice, and there was no recovery in a few days. It took months the first time to feel like my old self, and about six weeks the second time. The fatigue was overwhelming.

Because of my history, I usually get the shot. 

September appears too early for the shot. The CDC says:

"CDC and the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommend that flu vaccinations begin by the end of October, if possible. However, as long as flu viruses are circulating, it is not too late to get vaccinated, even in January or later. While seasonal flu outbreaks can happen as early as October, most of the time flu activity peaks between December and February, although activity can last as late as May. Since it takes about two weeks after vaccination for antibodies to develop in the body that protect against flu virus infection, it is best that people get vaccinated in time to be protected before flu viruses begin spreading in their community. Although immunity obtained from flu vaccination can vary by person, previously published studies suggest that immunity lasts through a full flu season for most people."

Also: "In adults, studies have not shown a benefit from getting more than one dose of vaccine during the same influenza season, even among elderly persons with weakened immune systems." 

There's also info on two vaccine options for people over 65, whose immunity may decline faster than younger people. 

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/misconceptions.htm