Honored Contributor

Re: Flu shots already?

[ Edited ]

Re:  will the shots be available later?

My company normally provides free flu shots at the office in September through a company and RNs administer the shots.  This year, because almost everyone is working from home, we are not providing them.  We do not want to invite people to come into the office for this.

I think if more companies follow what we are doing, all the people who got their shot through work will now be looking to get their shot at CVS, Grocery store, etc.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Seems a bit early! I usually get one the end of Sept or Early October. 

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Trusted Contributor

@CherryHugs I thought so too but then my DD who is employed at our hospital said that yes, they are saying to get your flu shot early.  Yet she also said they do not have the vaccine available yet for their employees.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

I get my shot end of October, beginning of November. That way I figure I'm covered when the flu season is peaking, in Jan-Feb-March. I've had influenza twice, in those months.

Another option would be the senior shot, which supposedly confers longer-lasting immunity (because older bodies don't mount as vigorous or long-lasting response). But I read reports here of people having bad reactions to it, so I stick with the regular shot.

@noodleann @I got the flu on September 18th two years ago. Usually, influenza hits the southern US states later than the northern states. I've learned my less and I'm going to go with a shot around September 5th. 

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Still Raining wrote:

Seems way early.  I was also wondering about getting that close to someone.  Wonder if they let you take it home to do it yourself?  A pharmacist sees way to much of the public to be safe.

@Still Raining - no way would they give it to you to take home.

In the amount of time the actual shots takes, like 2 seconds, As long as we are both wearing masks I'm fine with it.

I had a mammogram 2 weeks ago and felt comfortable with that.  

I agree.  I had to have blood work done and it didn't bother me one bit.  We both had to wear a mask and it took less than 5 minutes for them to band my arm, get the vials they needed, slap a bandaid on and send me on my way.

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

I get my shot end of October, beginning of November. That way I figure I'm covered when the flu season is peaking, in Jan-Feb-March. I've had influenza twice, in those months.

Another option would be the senior shot, which supposedly confers longer-lasting immunity (because older bodies don't mount as vigorous or long-lasting response). But I read reports here of people having bad reactions to it, so I stick with the regular shot.

@noodleann @I got the flu on September 18th two years ago. Usually, influenza hits the southern US states later than the northern states. I've learned my less and I'm going to go with a shot around September 5th. 

September 5th is too early, according to the experts. CVS is not "the experts." It's just selling vaccinations.

I'm in the north and have gotten influenza (tested positive) twice in February and another winter month. I've also gotten the CDC's weekly updates on the distribution and status of influenza across the country for years. The actual infection rate is negligible in the summer (i.e., September 5 and 18) and peaks during the winter into spring. That is year after year of looking at both the hard stats on documented cases and the stats on searches for ILI.

I believe your experience is an outlier and should not guide others.

Honored Contributor

@chlema   I didnt know that, I do have a Dr appt for chk up in Sept so can get one then. IF i go to the appt! 

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Frequent Contributor

I think this is too early also! My WM pharmacy told me 3 weeks ago that they were ready to give flu shots, so I researched it when I got home and this is what the CDC says: 

As to when you should get the flu shot, the CDC maintains that "September and October are good times to get vaccinated." "Getting vaccinated in July or August is too early, especially for older people, because of the likelihood of reduced protection against flu infection later in the flu season."