Respected Contributor

Re: Flu shot-when do you get yours?

@shaggygirl wrote:

Usually around October but the last time I saw my primary (just for a blood pressure check) he told me I could get it when I go in again the first week of Dec. I thought that was kind of late so might give his office a call in Oct and see if they say to go in and get it. Another shot we discussed was the new shingles shot which you get in 2 doses. That one he recommended I get it at the pharmacy as it would be cheaper. Ha! It's going to be $150 for the first dose. That's my portion, the pharmacist checked w/my insurance (a Medicare Advantage plan) and that's my deductible for it. He wasn't sure if the second dose would be more. In any case they were out of it so I'm waiting for the call saying they got more in. That hurts but no doubt not as much as having the shingles would.

I just had my first Shingrix shot and I was a little ill the next day and my upper arm and shoulder hurt for 2 days, but it's well worth it.  I will be getting the second one hopefully in 2 months.  I was told at my age, over 65, to get the shot later in the fall as they don't last the whole winter season.  I usually get mine in October.

Respected Contributor

Mid to late Oct, I never get it early.

Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

Probably the end of this month or early in October. 

I've been getting mine at Walgreen's as there's no cost to me to get it there. My PCP's office charges a fee to administer the vaccine, and while the actual vaccine itself is covered by my insurance, the administration fee isn't. 

I always wondered what it means when supermarkets advertised "free flu shots," since clearly it's only "free" if you have insurance.  I guess it means they don't have an administration charge.

Esteemed Contributor

@luvmybeetle wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

Usually around October but the last time I saw my primary (just for a blood pressure check) he told me I could get it when I go in again the first week of Dec. I thought that was kind of late so might give his office a call in Oct and see if they say to go in and get it. Another shot we discussed was the new shingles shot which you get in 2 doses. That one he recommended I get it at the pharmacy as it would be cheaper. Ha! It's going to be $150 for the first dose. That's my portion, the pharmacist checked w/my insurance (a Medicare Advantage plan) and that's my deductible for it. He wasn't sure if the second dose would be more. In any case they were out of it so I'm waiting for the call saying they got more in. That hurts but no doubt not as much as having the shingles would.

I just had my first Shingrix shot and I was a little ill the next day and my upper arm and shoulder hurt for 2 days, but it's well worth it.  I will be getting the second one hopefully in 2 months.  I was told at my age, over 65, to get the shot later in the fall as they don't last the whole winter season.  I usually get mine in October.

One of my friends had the first round and she was sore as well for a couple of days plus said she had a hard lump around the area that took a few days to go away. She asked a few other folks that she knew had gotten the first round and they all told her it was the same for them too, soreness and a lump. I'm also over 65, so far over I barely remember it.

Honored Contributor

I wait until October, and get it free at the hospital where I worked.   As part of their community outreach programs, free flu shots are offered at designated times in October.   

I had my quarterly medical checkup recently, and the doctor had flu shots available if I was interested.   Last year was the only year I had a flu shot before October, and that was because I had knee surgery scheduled for mid October, and wanted to have my shot weeks before entering the hospital.   I told my doctor I prefer to wait, even tho he said an ER patient had tested positive for influenza at the hospital the previous day.   

Honored Contributor

I have been reading when to get a shot. It is a toss up really. Flu starts in Oct, and peaks in Feb or March. They say with the senior shot ,you are getting a stronger dose, so it is probably OK

I will get mine this week if the have the vaccine

Honored Contributor

Probably October.

Honored Contributor

We get ours in October.  And I get my 2nd Prevnar this year.  Since I was 45 it was recommended I get pneumonia shots because of the Pulmonary Sarcoidosis I have, which back then was considered one shot for life, but most people were over 65 back then so I asked "what about me"?....  I then got one every five years until Prevnar was developed, so I'm thinking this  *crossed fingers* will be my last pneumonia shot!!

And considering I have this awful thing (in remission for many years, but not gone) I have been very healthy regarding flu, lung and bronchitis infections!  I'm a believer.... Woman LOL     

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I set our flue shot clinic at work for Oct 15.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

We usually get ours in Oct.