Trusted Contributor

I separated flu and first shingles shot. First shingles shot made me miserable for about four days.I get the second one in mid-November. I usually do not have reactions to shots.

Honored Contributor

My doctor would not give me the flu shot and the shingle one at the same time.  

Honored Contributor

I would not have had both shots at the same time.  I got the shingles vaccine a few years ago when it was only once--no adverse reactions.  I have never had the flu and have never gotten the flu vaccine.  I plan to let well enough alone.

Honored Contributor

DH and I don't take more than one shot at a time so if we have a reaction we will know which one was the culprit.

Thankfully we've had both shingles doses and both pneumonia doses without reactions. Just soreness.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Honored Contributor

Re: Flu and shingles shots

[ Edited ]

I got a fever from the Shingles shot, but it only lasted about 8 hours, after that, just fine. Got it same time as flu shot, one in each arm. I would bet all I had it was the Shingles one, not the flu shot that caused the fever. 

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 I had a shingles shot a few years ago also.  But this newer shot (Shingrix) is recommended now, even if you had the earlier shot.  You might want to check with your doctor.

Valued Contributor

My husband has had the shingles shot and both times he spiked fevers and did not have the usual energy that he usually has.

I am always careful when I get the flu shot because I have had some side effects. One year it effected my thyroid and well it wasn't fun.

Honored Contributor

Thank you to all for the replies. Hubby didn't have much of a reaction.

Don't know if I am taking the second one.

Esteemed Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 :  I'm unclear, did you or did you not get a second shingles shot?  If you got the new, improved Shingrix you need two shots, six weeks apart.  I got a mild case of Shingles at 61 so DH and I got a shot 10 yrs ago but when new ones came out we got the series of two.  Hope I never get Shingles again ( even a mild one took me out of work for several days).

Respected Contributor

I was feeling great, exercising, taking care of business and with surplus energy. I went for my senior flu shot and they asked it I'd like the Shingrix, as well.  I said, 'heck no, one shot at a time.'  

I'm so glad I just took the flu shot.  Starting a few hours after the shot, and for a little over a week, I did NOT feel like myself. I barely could get out to walk the dog and just wanted to crash in front of the TV.  I felt downright depressed and lethargic.  I didn't want to communicate with anyone. It was unpleasant. With low dose flu vaccines, I always had ZERO side effects.  

If I had received the Shingrix, I would have sworn it was the culprit since so many in my health care community are reporting significant side effects.  I need to take it, but I'm a little leery.