Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Ainhisg, make sure to take the Florastor at least 4 hours after you've taken the antibiotic. I wasn't aware of this until the pharmacist told me when I picked up antibiotics to use before a scheduled dental procedure. The reason for this is if not taken at least 4 hours away from each other, the antibiotic will kill the probiotic, which negates the purpose of taking it.

Trusted Contributor

@sgraham30 wrote:

@Ainhisg, make sure to take the Florastor at least 4 hours after you've taken the antibiotic. I wasn't aware of this until the pharmacist told me when I picked up antibiotics to use before a scheduled dental procedure. The reason for this is if not taken at least 4 hours away from each other, the antibiotic will kill the probiotic, which negates the purpose of taking it.

I believe this is incorrect.  Because Florastor is a yeast-based probiotic as opposed to something like Culturelle which is bacteria-based, the antibiotic will not affect the probiotic Florastor.  It would if the probiotic was Culturelle because the antibiotic would compromise the bacteria in the bacteria-based probiotic.  So I believe you can take Florastor even at the same time with an antibiotic but you need to check this info with your pharmacist.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Respected Contributor

I am the OP and appreciate all responses!  This is my second round of antibiotics for facial cellulitis--the first round was Augmentin, and this round is clindamycin.  The doctor prescribing it told me to take a probiotic with it but didn't specify a certain one.  After much research, I decided on Florastor especially after reading the reviews on Amazon.  I have been taking 4 a day, because I'm so scared of getting C-diff after 2 rounds of antibiotics.  It has been a godsend!  I thought I was heading the way of C-diff, but then on the third day, the Florastor kicked in and corrected that problem.  I did contact the company concerning my questions, and this is what I found out:

1)  You can take anywhere from 1 to 4 per day with 4 being the max.  It is recommended to take them twice daily, so I have been taking 2 in the AM and 2 in the PM.

2)  Florastor is yeast-based so is not effected by antibiotics making it the probiotic (even though it's not really a probiotic) of choice to take with and after antibiotics.  It can be taken at the same time you take antibiotics or at a separate time; it makes no difference.

3)  My doctor told me to take a probiotic for several months after I was done with the antibiotics.  I will taper down to 2 a day and then 1 a day over this time to see how I do.

4)  By far...the cheapest place to get Florastor is Amazon.  100 capsules is $41.