Honored Contributor

Just go on the fitbit website. I always like to get the latest of whatever is offered. If I understand the website right, it won't be out for awhile. My guess is there are still gliches in it they are working out.

I'm still on the fence on QVC's. I was thinking of getting myself one and one for my adult daughter. She lives in Denver and is very active (skiing now).

She wants me to get her the google watch that costs $550 that even allows you to back track where you've hiked! It is awsome, but I think this will do her until Spring.

I agree with some of you though. For me I'd like to get the Serge or Charge. I'm definitely not into sports or exercise, but need to get more active.

I enjoyed reading all of your posts and it definitely helps me to decide. Thanks to all of you for the info.

Respected Contributor

For me, i don't have access to my phone or a computer to sync to during the work day, so the Pivotal Living one will allow me to see the data on my band and sync when I get off. There is also the fact that they are $15 instead of 6 times that. There is an annual fee of $12 and you get a new band. The fee is for the software. I also like seeing the time on my watch instead of just a band with lights. I'll report back how it works out for me.

Trusted Contributor
Personally I don't see the value. I've been checking online, and most offer the extra bands, so that's no biggee. The WW "free" offer is only for a month, and I already get that anyway. So by the time you add postage, the price is virtually the same as retail. It's a cool item, but I'll wait for the kinks to be ironed out and for the new model. I was also told about a similar product that you don't have to charge, so I'm going to investigate that. I see no reason to "run to the phone" for this TSV.
Honored Contributor

I finally figured out my password for Consumer Reports. I wanted to check out the best Fitbit.

I found an interesting article about privacy laws about things like Fitbit that gather data on a person.

Near where I live Senator Chuck Schumer (D/NY) recently mentioned Fitbit (he called them out, right or wrong) and complained that these companies are collecting data on people.

Consumer said Fitbit says they do not sell the data gathered (who really knows). However, Consumer did say there are currently no laws about a company selling or sharing data collected about an individual.

Some companies in small print will let you (OPT OUT), but the print is very small and it is getting harder to even find it.

My son-in-law owns a cyber security company here in the DC area. He says all of those secret words, etc are something that makes the public feel good anyway.

I know I don't use words for security purposes, I use a phrase, (example: Canyouseeme84). He was impressed but he still never needs any of my security words, phrases, etc to fix my computer or do anything with any of it. I will add that he always says my Apple products give him a more difficult time than my Samsung laptop or Firefox or whatever that thing is called.

I just wanted to give everyone 'food for thought' so to speak. Just watch where you wave that arm and where that data goes.

I don't know but it seems like it would be easy to collect data from that thing like the way people can do just by getting near you from your credit card.

I am probably going to get one because I want to know more about my sleep pattern and how far I walk (not good at all, couch potato). I've had many sleep studies done and want to conduct my own.

Anyway, just wanted to tell you what I saw in Consumers.

All of you are so kind to me to put up with my stupid questions about everything.

Respected Contributor

Thanks Annabell. All apps on your phone collect some form of data on you. How long you play, your play style, your speed, everything really. NSA does it and so do all the others. What they plan to use the data for is probably not going to compromise a person like reading your text messages would, but it is a valid point. If you get one that has the GPS tracking in it, then they could track your movements, good for criminals, if they can get their hands on it. This one doesn't have such personal data on it. I also keep my GPS on my phone turned off until I need it for driving. I'm pretty good at finding places without it, so I rarely use it.

Trusted Contributor
Annabelle, I'm curious, did CR have any information on Fitbit or the other similar devices?
Respected Contributor

I'm watching Leave It to Beaver. Guess what this episode is on....a pedometer! Ward had one he used when he was a kid walking 10 miles to school and 10 miles back. Beaver called it a walking machine. He is now taking bets on the fact that he can walk 20 miles in one day! Imagine a whole episode on walking!