Honored Contributor

Re: Fit Bit Walker's Club....welcome in. :)

On 6/22/2014 PalmTree11 said:
On 6/21/2014 benzgirl said: Palm Tree...the ""Dashboard"" feature shows steps AND calculates distance for you. It also shows your calorie intake (you must enter them manually) and the total calories burned. It's pretty cool!

I'm wondering how it calculates distance. I swear it tells me different distances for the same walk route.

I'm sure the FAQ online have the specifics. I don't recall word for word.

It does calculate steps based on one's height. It is suggested we adjust the stride by walking a specific distance & inputting the info. I have not bothered to do that though I am pretty sure the numbers are a bit off for me because I am short-waisted. My legs are longer than most people my height.

I use MyFitnessPal for food & to input other (non-step) exercise. MFP syncs with Fitbit.

Super Contributor

Thanks willdob! I think part of my issue is I don't really swing my arms when I walk so I have to force myself to.

Super Contributor

13,300 so far today, but now I'm sitting on a recliner with a dog in my lap, so I don't see my number increasing much. Plus, new Janet Evanovich book is competing with Fitbit!

Honored Contributor

Thanks willdob! I think part of my issue is I don't really swing my arms when I walk so I have to force myself to.

For motivation on keeping correct form try reading up on power walking. it is very interesting.

I started out "strolling" and found myself gradually going faster - and further - without trying or thinking about it. As I went faster I instinctively moved into power walking form. I started wondering about it & did some research. It is great for burning calories and getting healthy. Easier on joints than running, too.

Honored Contributor

Just look at you ladies go! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

But please listen to your feet & take care of them! Wear good shoes/socks & stop if you feel pain; getting blisters can really slow one down. Been there, done that!

Super Contributor

On 6/22/2014 Happy Elizabeth said:

13,300 so far today, but now I'm sitting on a recliner with a dog in my lap, so I don't see my number increasing much. Plus, new Janet Evanovich book is competing with Fitbit!

Awesome!! And as for that Evanovich book: read it earlier this week! Now I'm working backwards. I'm on 19. The problem with reading those books is they make me want donuts, hot dogs, cake, pizza... Smiley Wink

Super Contributor

Awesome!! And as for that Evanovich book: read it earlier this week! Now I'm working backwards. I'm on 19. The problem with reading those books is they make me want donuts, hot dogs, cake, pizza... Smiley Wink

You are soooo right. I never crave junk foods unless I'm reading one of her books. One time, I even ended up making a pineapple upside down cake! Now, if only I could have Ranger!

Super Contributor

On 6/22/2014 willdob3 said:

For motivation on keeping correct form try reading up on power walking. it is very interesting.

I started out "strolling" and found myself gradually going faster - and further - without trying or thinking about it. As I went faster I instinctively moved into power walking form. I started wondering about it & did some research. It is great for burning calories and getting healthy. Easier on joints than running, too.

Power walking looks great! Only problem is I'd have to leave my walking buddy at home and I enjoy his company. Once it gets too hot for him I will do the power walking by myself. I'm pretty tall so my stride is pretty fast to begin with. Unfortunately the dogs slow me down.

Super Contributor

You are soooo right. I never crave junk foods unless I'm reading one of her books. One time, I even ended up making a pineapple upside down cake! Now, if only I could have Ranger!

Glad to hear it's not just me! I have been dreaming of donuts... You're right, with Ranger around we wouldn't need sweets!

Honored Contributor

Went for a mile & a half walk early this morning, then mowed some on the yard till I thought I was having heat stroke (lol), I am at 8800 steps so far for today, I am pooped out and may not get too much more today. We'll see...I would like to get my 10 thousand, it's not that far off.

"To each their own, in all things".