Honored Contributor

I am still unsure if we should take these, i give my dogs these,but not sure if we humans should take,do they help us?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/13-benefits-of-fish-oil#section4

Honestly, no one here can tell you that.  Posters can only Google the information for you or give you their personal opinions.  So, Google  "benefits of fish oil supplements" and read some articles and decide for yourself.  I posted one above.   I can say that I decided to try it myself, I plan to pick some up later this week, I made my decision based on articles like the one above. Also Tumeric, I added that to my regimen too because my endocrinologist suggested that. 

Honored Contributor

I stopped taking these a few years ago because they upset my stomach and also you have to be careful (I read) aobut the purity of them. Some may have contained too much mercury from the fish etc.

Marketing for supplements just as rx drugs has stepped up in the past decade. There always seems to be the supplement of the year or month that we all should take.

Like probiotics (used to be called acidolpholus which until they changed the name was cheaper). Now there are studies that show we should not take it esp during antibiotics as it prevents our own systems from producing the best antibodies or something like that!

And everyone is an individual. So some supplements or herbs or vitamins are good for some but not for others. And it is always a good idea to research each one under a reputable website-mayo clinic, I think webmd is ok but some said no.

There are side effects and interactions and people who should not take certain ones with all of them so read before you take or order and then if you do make sure they are the best!

Also for me if I don't notice any difference after awhile for any positive results, I won't take anymore. The same if too many undesirable side effects.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

My doctor told me to quit taking them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I had a cardiologist recommend Carlson Laboratories years ago - but I cut the dosage that he recommended in half and only take 1 pill a day.  The problem is that companies are always changing ingredients and dosages in the pills....so I have no idea how close or far away I am from the original recommendation. 

Honored Contributor
@goldensrbest Fish oil is highly beneficial for brain and cardiac health. Always talk to your doctor to see if it is right for you.

One caveat; depending on the type of fat processing gene you have, it may not help you. Most fish oil is in triglyceride form which a very small segment of the population cannot process. They must ingest it in phospholipid form.

Way more information but research what's right for you if anything.
Honored Contributor

Re: Fish oil tablets

[ Edited ]

DH and I take a flax oil/ fish oil combination soft gel.   I also give these to my dogs as well.  I use krill oil and take flax oil.

Honored Contributor

There’s nothing mystical or magical about fish oil.

In fact, more & more research is coming out that it’s very

questionable especially factoring in the source of fish.

I’m not a meat eater but if one wants whatever ‘perceived’

benefit that is trending for fish oil, just eat the real fish,

not crazy amounts of extracted oil.

If one wants the benefits, Chia Seeds & Flax Seeds provide 

the same nutritional profile as fish...adding in wonderful fiber

and none of the icky Saturated Fat that fish has.

Honored Contributor

Yes they are beneficial to your heatlh especially if you don't eat fish.

I have been taking Andrew Lessman fish oil for years. I take 2 capsules per day.

You want to make sure you know what you are taking since rancid fish oil can do more harm then good. Never take an enteric coated fish oil. I read they use that coating to cover up old smelly fish oil that you should not be taking.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/13-benefits-of-fish-oil#section4

Honestly, no one here can tell you that.  Posters can only Google the information for you or give you their personal opinions.  So, Google  "benefits of fish oil supplements" and read some articles and decide for yourself.  I posted one above.   I can say that I decided to try it myself, I plan to pick some up later this week, I made my decision based on articles like the one above. Also Tumeric, I added that to my regimen too because my endocrinologist suggested that. 

Yes, i have read quite a bit on this,just want peoples opinions.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.