Honored Contributor

Re: First ever yoga class tomorrow!

@sidsmom   I did check this out...I never knew about this type of yoga.   Interesting!   (And there were two men in my class today.  I realize yoga participants are overwhelmingly women). 

I might be interested in this at some point, but I really need the slower paced, traditional yoga workouts.  I already get lots of aerobic/faster paced exercise.  

Honored Contributor

@september

I thought about you today....going outside to an ocean view.

manohman....that's good stuff!! So happy you found your 

yogi groove! 🌼

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@september

I thought about you today....going outside to an ocean view.

manohman....that's good stuff!! So happy you found your 

yogi groove! 🌼

Thanks!  It was nice...as well as early in the morning for me, but it all worked out and I even went for a quick walk by the beach before starting my day!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Many years ago I loved my Yoga classes.  Until I over-did the partial head/neck stands (called shoulder stand) with feet against the wall.  I began to feel a vibration in my neck when turning my head.  So, at that time, I quit the classes, just to eliminate the vibrations. Otherwise, I loved the other positions.  I'll probably return to yoga one day soon.  It was stimulating and relaxing at the same time.  Loved the part when our minds traveled to a 'blank-ness' at the end of the class.  Nothing on our minds, which was nice, as I recall.  Total nothing-ness felt good.  No stress whatsoever.  Heart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Many years ago I loved my Yoga classes.  Until I over-did the partial head/neck stands with feet against the wall.  I began to feel a vibration in my neck when turning my head.  So, at that time, I quit the classes, just to eliminate the vibrations. Otherwise, I loved the other positions.  I'll probably return to yoga one day soon.  It was stimulating and relaxing at the same time.  Loved the part when our minds traveled to a 'blank-ness' at the end of the class.  Nothing on our minds, which was nice, as I recall.  Total nothing-ness felt good.  No stress whatsoever.  Heart

OMG!  We didn't do anything like that.   We did one exercise with our hands on the blocks, to work our arms, and one participant said it hurt her wrists. The instructor gave her an alternate way to do the exercise and said "yoga should never hurt". 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

September:  It didn't hurt at the time, while doing that partial head stand (actually shoulder stand, feet against the wall).  Just afterward, it wasn't pain; just vibrations.  So, I put 'two and two' together.  It all passed/subsided within a couple of weeks or so, after I quit.  It's just a matter of figuring out our bodies and what we can and cannot do or what we should and should not do.  Every body is different/unique.  I suggest being careful when it comes to (some of) our heads/necks.  Just to be safe.  Some folks are just plain sturdy, and nothing ever bothers them!  The other exercises/yoga positions were fine.  No problem(s) at all.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

September:  It didn't hurt at the time, while doing that partial head stand.  Just afterward, it wasn't pain; just vibrations.  So, I put 'two and two' together.  It all passed/subsided within a couple of weeks or so, after I quit.  It's just a matter of figuring out our bodies and what we can and cannot do or what we should and should not do.  Every body is different/unique.  I suggest being careful when it comes to (some of) our heads/necks.  Just to be safe.  Some folks are just plain sturdy, and nothing ever bothers them!  The other exercises/yoga positions were fine.  No problem(s) at all.  

The instructor I had today often mentioned two different ways to do an exercise.  I think this was directed at me, a new person, and at another lady who was also kind of new 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

September:  Sounds as though you have an excellent instructor.  We learn from one another, and maybe, if you wish, you might mention my neck vibrations; just to hear what your instructor has to say about shoulder stands with our feet against a wall.  Actually, just this moment, I recall something about a bad experience that a woman had while having her hair washed in a beauty salon.  Something about her neck, etc., etc.  I can see how something questionable can happen re: our necks, in some people. 

Honored Contributor

@ROMARY   I will ask if it comes up, but I don't see that extreme pose coming up in this class.  We did a modified version, with a block supporting the lower lumbar area.  Fine with me!

Honored Contributor

There are a lot of yoga studios and yoga classes near where I live.  I'd love to start, I think it would be good for my lower back but that will have to wait until I get something done with my knee.  I can't even bring myself to say knee replacement...lol