Esteemed Contributor

Re: First Dental Visit/ Cleaning in a Year

I'm not so sure I would make the statement that a medical office is safer than the grocery store.

I have a relative through marriage whose immediate family and extended family are rife with doctors, dentists and nurses. I am both shocked and saddened by what I consider the reckless lifestyles they lead. And if you think any political stereotyping can be made--it simply cannot.

That being said, I have been to the dentist twice since March, but I know enough to not be completely comfortable in that kind of setting.

Honored Contributor

Unless they have a lab on site I'm not sure you're going to get that crown taken care of in one visit.

Honored Contributor

I thought you had an emergency trip to the dentist just a few months back?

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Unless they have a lab on site I'm not sure you're going to get that crown taken care of in one visit.

My dentist has the equipment to make crowns while you wait. Takes less than an hour.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@CelticCrafter   Yes they make all my crowns right there while I wait 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@beckyb1012   yes  in  May I had a crown break in half. Went in when they were still closed( no dentists at that point were open) but for emergencies they  have you come in. It was just the dentist and the hygentist... no one else except the three of us.   They made me a new crown that visit. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@beckyb1012   yes  in  May I had a crown break in half. Went in when they were still closed( no dentists at that point were open) but for emergencies they  have you come in. It was just the dentist and the hygentist... no one else except the three of us.   They made me a new crown that visit. 

I thought so.  Your heading for this post was a bit confusing.  I have been in three times since May and other patients in the office. Last visit was Sept. so no sickness other than the high cost. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

I thought so.  Your heading for this post was a bit confusing.  I have been in three times since May and other patients in the office. Last visit was Sept. so no sickness other than the high cost. 

@beckyb1012     My header said vist/ cleaning... I should have just put CLEANING. Thank you for the correction.

Trusted Contributor

I went to the dentist yesterday for the first time in one year. My usual 6 month appointment was cancelled earlier this year due to COVID. All went well -- I waited in the car until the hygenist was ready and then brought in. The hygenist was in full
PPE and i noticed the cleaning process created less splatter. I wasn't told to rinse and spit but instead rinse and then suction. My regular hygentist of many years quit to go teach at the community college, so I wasn't sure what to expect but I actually enjoyed the new technique vs previous. It was gentle but thorough. The dentist was in full PPE and he didn't take time to chat -- kept saying "I just don't want to get sick" and moved along. It's a small office and only one patient allowed in at a time.  Everyone used hand sanitizer religiously. I immediately donned my kn95 mask when finished and went home.

Esteemed Contributor

I have been to dentist can,t count the times in last few months.  Cleaning, then needed a root  canal, a post, two crowns and a bridge.  I clean teeth with floss, water pick, and brush.  Usually go every 4 months for cleaning. Covid came in March, teeth had been cleaned in Dec. Got in Aug for cleaning and all that worked had to be done on same side.

I had ins. from my HMO, but went to the dentist I had been going to for the last 14 years.  My ins is not covered at his office, but I trust him, staff and very clean office.

My bill came to over 11, 500 dollars.  He is so giving.  Didn,t charge for bridge or crowns, just root canal and a post he had to put in to hold a crown, so I didn,t have to have a partial.  My charge 2800.  Yes, no kidding.  He said he has money and likes to pay it forward, plus he considers me not just a patient, but a friend.

He has given me many breaks.  He knows I  have ins with the other dentist, but not the trust. 

When you get up there in age, teeth start going bad. He is a good, kind man, and a decent human.