Honored Contributor

Re: First Dental Visit/ Cleaning in a Year

I had 2 dental appts in July, vrry compliant, no fears. 

Valued Contributor

I went in June (cleaning)

July (crown)  2 visits

going next week (cleaning)

They take your temp and do not use the ultrasonic cleaner.

I feel 100% comfortable going.  Lots of health problems can develop if you skip the dentist (mouth cancer, diabetes, gum disease, etc.)  

I see my primary care doctor this Friday for a physical.  I prefer to manage my medical care without worry.  

Esteemed Contributor

The dental office cancelled my cleaning in April. I called back and can't get another cleaning appointment until next April. I've been cleaning and flossing better than ever. I usually get a cleaning three times a year. Oh, well. Such is 2020.    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden I'm in your exact situation.  3 joints down (2 hips, 1 knee, 1 to go...) and the entire restucturing of my mouth that removed all periodontal issues I dealt with for years and elevated my otherwise compromised teeth with every type of dental appliance, bridge, implant, veneer imaginable.  Very costly, but worth every penny because I now have optimal oral health.

As for my last knee replacement (contemplated next year), I am hopeful that I will be able to resume much more of an active lifestyle I've relinquished since about 2017 when I had one hip replaced (other was done in 2008) and 2019 when I had my one knee replaced.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not going to the dentist yet b/c there have been a few outbreaks at different dental offices here. Its not safe to go. I'll will go if I have an emergency. But not until then.

The positivity rate here now is just approaching 15%. That is too high for me to feel comfortable going anywhere right now.

Honored Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

The dental office cancelled my cleaning in April. I called back and can't get another cleaning appointment until next April. I've been cleaning and flossing better than ever. I usually get a cleaning three times a year. Oh, well. Such is 2020.    

@jeanlake  Is it that they are too busy to fit you in or are they not open for business? Have you though about going somewhere else? What if you had an emergency  dental situation?

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden  I think it's probably safer to go to the dentist than the grocery store.

I've gone to my dentist twice since last March.  I had to stay in my car and call them to let them know I was in the parking lot.  When they were ready for me, they called me back and said to go to the front door with a mask on.  The hygeniest met me at the door, took my temp, and then let me in.  I then had to use their hand sanitizer, they took me straight back to the exam room, and then made me "swish" with mouthwash for 30 seconds.  They made me sign a paper stating that to the best of my knowledge I had not been exposed to Covid.  There were plexiglass panels everywhere possible and all the staff had PPE on.  I felt comfortable there.  

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden They are backed up with general cleaning appointments they had to cancel. They do work you in if you have problems other than dental hygeine visit. I do like my dentist.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

I put off my checkup and cleaning which I never do, but finally went last week.  I was so nervous it was ridiculous.  After I got there, I thought, this is probably way more safe than being in a stupid grocery store or most other stores!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

As for the teeth cleaning experience, mine mirrors that of several posters:  normal ever quarter but this last one was done after a year thanks to COVID-19.

As some have stated, my procedure for protocols followed were similar but also included a mouth rinse before I got into the chair.  Hygienist also had hair covered as well as mask and shield.  Instead of the really high-powered spray, the new spray was more controlled and focused.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill