Valued Contributor

Re: Finally scheduled my Knee replacement

@pdlinda wrote:

@RedTop wrote:

Thanks very much for that tip.  I will put a call into my surgeon's office tomorrow to talk to med asst and find that info out.  

The incisions on both my hips (one 2008 and other 2017) both were closed with staples.

Mine, 2015 and 2016 were both closed with glue -- no staples, thank God. 

Trusted Contributor

Had my right knee replaced 5/30 and am very happy with the results.  Stayed overnight, had pt in the morning and home that day.  My surgeon said he is not happy with only one night in hospital but Medicare has the final say.  Anyway, I did PT 2 days a week for 4 weeks at a rehab facility and they discharged me early because I no longer needed them.  I do still do some simple excercises at home, no pain.  Knee was closed with staples.

Now at the end of the month I will be having the left knee replaced.  It was a bother before but the PT on the right knee really caused the left to decline faster, I'm told this is not unusual.  Anyway, I'm hoping this surgery goes as well as the first.  

I did have family staying with me for the first 3 days, all day.  Since my granddaughter lives with me she was there at night.  Was on tramadol for about a week and then used only on therapy days.  What I do stress is that you have to do therapy, both at a facility and at home.  Hospital gave me a directive of 8 excercises to do at home after surgery twice a day in addition to rehab 2x a week.  Yes, it is a challenge at first but so worth the outcome and I never experienced the horrendous pain I was warned about.  Good luck to you.

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@pdlinda I was in rehab after being released from a hospital. I would go to rehab. Ask your.doctor's office for the names of two facilities .

Please call your insurance company and ask about the cost of transportation to the facility and then home. Prices can vary. 

I would get the name of two places,then call and go for visit.

Please be aware that in order to go to a rehab facility if you have Medicare, you must first  complete a three day stay in the hospital as an inpatient.  If you do not do this, rehab will not be covered by Medicare.

Medicare will pay for transportation from the hospital to the Nearest Rehab facility.  Medicare will not pay for your transportation from the Rehab facility to your home when you are released to go home.

Respected Contributor

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

Been putting it off, MD wanted to do the replacement last October because I was bone on bone but I decided to hold off. No more cortisone injections MD says, it's time to get it done. I had the left knee replaced in 2015, things have changed a bit. I was inpatient for 2 days then, now they keep you overnight and send you home the next day ! I will be up in a chair the evening of surgery and start PT the next morning about 6 am then discharged. I have to have someone stay with me for the first 3 days per MD orders.  I was given exercises to start now, Ice machine at home and home PT. Surgery scheduled for 9/30, keep me in your prayers please. I've been through this before but things are a bit different now.

My MIL had her right knee done last summer.  She stayed overnight but they held onto to her at the hospital until the doctor said she should go to rehab or not.  He did and she agreed to go.  She went directly to an inpatient rehab at a hospital close to her from the hospital she had surgery at (which was further away).  She stayed about 5 days.  The discharge planning department set up for her to have a bedside commode and one over the toilet and a walker.  I believe she continued with PT as an outpatient after she went home, but not at her house. She is also retired and on Medicare, etc. 

Respected Contributor

P.S.  Prayers sent to you.  Speedy recovery!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2.  I would discuss his policy on pain abatement now and if he's unwilling to prescribe what you need to be comfortable, I'd find another surgeon.  This opoid scare has become riduculous with people who legitimately need medication going around hurting because the doctor has to do some record-keeping.

FYi. My doctor warned against taking too much Tylenol because it can cause kidney damage.  As a pain killer, I also have found it to be useless..

@Kachina624   I  personally found Tylenol to be an excellent pain killer  with my four joint replacements....  Pain relief as good as the Opiates.  Too much Tylenol like any drug is not good.... I would be concerned more with liver damage over kidney damage.  But, Tylenol taken in the appropriate dose.... for a limited amount of time is a much better choice over opiates and much safer too.  I used Tylenol during my double knee replacement and both hips replaced. I only used the  opiates for the first few days after surgery.... switched to the Tylenol.. 

I do not think the opiate scare is ridiculous at all! It is very real and a huge problem. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@pdlinda I was in rehab after being released from a hospital. I would go to rehab. Ask your.doctor's office for the names of two facilities .

Please call your insurance company and ask about the cost of transportation to the facility and then home. Prices can vary. 

I would get the name of two places,then call and go for visit.

Please be aware that in order to go to a rehab facility if you have Medicare, you must first  complete a three day stay in the hospital as an inpatient.  If you do not do this, rehab will not be covered by Medicare.

Medicare will pay for transportation from the hospital to the Nearest Rehab facility.  Medicare will not pay for your transportation from the Rehab facility to your home when you are released to go home.

@Carmie 

Thank you for this information. I had a senior moment.

I know about the three day inpatient rule, and observation.

Honored Contributor

I had my left knee doen 2 years ago in October.  I put it off for far too long.  It ws the best thing I ever did.  I was in the hospital for 3 days.  I had my surgery at 10am and by the evening, I was doing my exersizes on the sling in my bed and the next morning, I was up walking the halls in my walker.  Between the OT, PT and walking the halls; I didn't spend much time in bed....LOL   People told me how painful it would be post-op but I had virtually no post-op pain.  My surgeon was true to his word on that.  He said, he'd prescribe pain meds that would work because he wanted me up and using the knee and participating fully in PT.  I did not have an ice machine, I don't know why, I think most doctors order them.  I was constantly replace ice in my ice packs.  TKR is much easier than it was just 5 or 6 years ago.  I do need my right knee done, I don't want it to get as bad as the left knee was.  I hope to have my right knee done next September or October.  Good luck with your surgery.