Esteemed Contributor

Re: Finally scheduled my Knee replacement

I had my left hip done a year ago this week.  Overnight then home.  It's great now.  However, now I need my right knee done and started the exercises.  Dr. and I discussed end of Oct.  I dread it.  Everyone tells me how bad PT is afterward.  My Dr.'s idea of a pain med is Tylenol. I'm waffling at this point.  I can tolerate a pretty good pain level but I've read where people actually cry from the pain.  Bull pucky.  I don't expect pain free but not where you don't want to do PT due to pain that brings you to tears.  I'm no masochist.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The surgery techniques have changed for the better.  With my last one I went home an hour or two after I was discharged from the recovery room.  No overnight at all,

Try not to worry too much, @Goodie2shoes.  Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

@Kachina624  wrote: I can't believe they're doing this manor surgery on an overnight basis.  Medicare?  Our government will do anything to its citizens to save a buck.  I'll just keep limping.

Both my husband and I had knee replacement surgery. Mine in 2017 and his in 2018. We are not on Medicare. We were both in the hospital overnight and sent to PT 3 days later. No one came to our home for PT. It’s an overnight surgery. 

Respected Contributor

I know an operating room tech who assists on TKR all day. She said it is outpatient in many cases. They send you home with a pain pump in place the very same day. A PT comes to your house the next day. They recently operated on a 94 year old!

Honored Contributor

@pdlinda.  I had a knee replacement in 2011.  I also live alone so I went to a rehab facility for 6 weeks.  They pressured me to stay longer but I finally just packed up and walked out.   It was not an unpleasant experience; the rehab was good and I could work out on my own in the gym during off hours.  I think a one week stay would have been adequate, but don't think I could have done it alone at home.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2.  I was amazed at the lack of pain after my TKR.  Considering the trauma the knee undergoes, I didn't think it was bad at all.  Sure it was sore but not excruciating,  certainly not enough to cry about.  Ice greatly relieves pain and swelling.  Patients are advised to take pain meds before PT so it's not that bad either

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624  I read to take pain meds prior to PT.  My Dr. is loathe to do more than the first few days.  I have been taking Tylenol for my knee now and I might as well be swallowing Tic Tacs.

My hip hurt but I could get by with 2 pills a day.  Once or twice I cut one in half if it was really pounding in the middle of the night.

Honored Contributor

My first knee was done in 2012, my second in 2017.  

My surgeries were done in the hospital I retired from; cared for by staff I knew very well.  The biggest change 2 years ago was prepping patients mentally and physically for an ortho procedure, and taking away the hospital “sick patient” feeling.   The teaching beforehand prepares you to start moving right away, you will not be allowed to lie in the bed and “rest”.   You will be moving, and gently exercising that knee.   You are not sick, and will not be treated like you are sick.   

My first knee was closed with staples; I told my surgeon I wanted the second knee to “match” and be pretty like the first.  He said sure, and I walked into the OR expecting the top layers of my incision to be closed with staples.  Second knee was closed with glue.  

I had significant bleeding from my incision the day after surgery, which is not uncommon.   At my 2 week recheck, the surgeon saw that the glue failed on my incision above the knee, and was splayed open.   It happens.   I had the option to go back into surgery, clean the wound, and close it again, or come home, keep the incision clean and dry, and let it close on its own.   I opted to let it close on its own; took 4 months.   Needless to say my incisions don’t match.   

After my ordeal, I encourage anyone facing knee replacement to ask their surgeon how he closes the top layers of the incision.   I send best wishes to everyone getting ready to have this procedure.   

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I can't believe they're doing this manor surgery on an overnight basis.  Medicare?  Our government will do anything to its citizens to save a buck.  I'll just keep limping.

@Kachina624   I had each hip done and went home by noon the next day. It is actually better as less chance for infection at home,  Hospitals are filthy places.  Has nothing to do with saving money really. 

Trusted Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

Thanks very much for that tip.  I will put a call into my surgeon's office tomorrow to talk to med asst and find that info out.  

The incisions on both my hips (one 2008 and other 2017) both were closed with staples.