Trusted Contributor

Re: Finally got the date for TKR.

Good Luck @CrazyKittyLvr2 

I'm having the 1st of two TKR's done in December.

Like you, I just want it to be over.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2: I had a nerve block for my LTKR in 2015, had excruciating pain when it wore off. This time, same Doc same facility decided to be put out instead of the nerve block so I was given a sleeping pill prior to leaving the pre op room and I don't remember even getting to the op room or being placed on the table !  I just remember being awakened and told I was on my way to my room !! That was wierd. Surgery Monday, home Tuesday after OT and PT. Full 2 day stay for the first TKR. Things have really changed

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   Just keep in mind that a TKR is more difficult surgery than a hip replacement.  You're likely to be less mobile and need more help.  Medicare is trying to have these done practically on an outpatient basis with minimal hospital stay.

I live alone so after I had my TOR in 2011, I spent 2 weeks at a nursing/rehab hospital afterwards.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I had my knees done a year apart. No pain ball.I went to a rehab facility for 5 days. I have severe fibro and thought I could use the nursing help.They wanted me to stay 3 weeks. Talk about over kill! I liked the PT and went back to him for out patient PT.Because of the fibro I still have muscle pain around my knees.I have 2 stable joints and can walk fine except for the tissue pain.

Esteemed Contributor

I do not want to go to a rehab facility.  The Dr. indicated Medicare won't pay for it anyway.

I am coming home, period.

Everything os on the 1st floor.  DD has a ton of days accumulated but I don't want her to waste them on me in case she would need them later.

I will be fine.

Super Contributor

Your doctor may have given you some incorrect information.  Medicare does pay for skilled care, following 3 nights in the hospital.  If you have an advantage plan instead of traditional Medicare you benifits will vary.  I stayed  10 days or was it 2 weeks, can't remember in skilled care and didn't cost me one penny.

Esteemed Contributor

@JesssMe  If all goes well I doubt they will keep me 3 nights.  I don't care if Medicare pays or not.  I want to come home.  The less tie I spend in any medical facility the happier and better off I will be.

I would rather be home instead of aggravated in a hospital or facility.

Super Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@JesssMe  If all goes well I doubt they will keep me 3 nights.  I don't care if Medicare pays or not.  I want to come home.  The less tie I spend in any medical facility the happier and better off I will be.

I would rather be home instead of aggravated in a hospital or facility.

I understand wanting to be home, but you may not realize how helpful it is at first with a new knee, to have 24 hour help.  I sure appreciated the help I had the first 2 weeks.  I also have lupus, so I have other issues to deal with.  Having 3 meals a day delivered to me was a god send, but I was ready to go home after 2 weeks.

Esteemed Contributor

@JesssMe   I know this won't be the cakewalk my hip was.  My DD has time she can take and my son ust told me he has time he can take.  I am covered if need be but I won't ask them to use their time for me unless it's absolutely necessary,

At a check up for my hip last year the Dr. said he could do my knee i Dec. but I had just had my hip done in Sept.  I was doctored and hospitaled out.

Little did I know my DH would pass away in May of this year and I would not have someone here with me 24/7.