Esteemed Contributor

Finally got the date for TKR.

I was at the Dr. 3 weeks ago and signed consent forms for the surgery.

I heard nothing so I left a message and they finally called an hour ago.  Wednesday Nov. 20th at high noon. 

They said they sent the paperwork for all of the pre-op c*ap.  Oh and the "joint camp".

I can't wait til it's over.  Just put me in and get it over with already.

Super Contributor

Re: Finally got the date for TKR.

Good luck with your upcoming TKR.  I had my left knee done in April, each month gets easier.  What is a knee clamp? I did have a pain ball, loved it, I was pain free, still very stiff, but no aching or actual pain.

Esteemed Contributor

@JesssMe   You go with others having the surgery and they go over how things will be done the day of surgery and afterwards.  Answer questions.  They have a physical therapist come in and talk about post surgery PT.

I had a hip replaced a year ago and had to do a 4 hr. "joint camp" then.  They did not cover anything that wasn't in the binder they gave me  month before.

What is a pain ball?

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh, joint camp, like a class.  I thought it was something to do with your knee.  I did the class pre-op where they explain and give you a book with what to expect.  The pain ball is a very small ( looks like thread) tube that is incerted into your thigh, and pain meds run through the tiny tiny tube, directly into your knee.  It keeps you comfortable, and your mind intact so you can do your pt at the hospital.  It only has enough medication ( in the form of a ball attached to the tube) for about 3 days.  I wish I could did my whole body in it!  ( yes, it's that good ).

Honored Contributor

I hope you have someone to stay with you during the day for the first couple of weeks.  I assume your daughter will be there nights.  Hope all goes well.  You won't be chasing the cat for awhile.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

This must be the season for TKR !  You may have read my post over the past week that I had a Right TKR on 9/30. I'm still on home PT, will probably start PT @ a free standing site next week if my home PT provider approves after her next visit on Friday. The joint camp may be the pre-op teaching class on your post op treatment plan. That was very helpfull to me. Best wishes for a speedy recovery

Esteemed Contributor

@JesssMe   Is it like a nerve block?  I think I get that for 24 hrs.  I am planning on a spinal as opposed to be put completely under.  Had that with my hip.  It was great.

Super Contributor

Yes, similiar to a nerve block.  My doctor doesn't do spinal for a TKR, only general.  Knees are tougher than hips, so I am told.  I was in skilled care for 2 weeks, then home and out patient PT for 3 months, 2x a week.  I am 5 months out, much better, but still doing exercises and I use a Cubii ( bought from QVC) every day, really helps a lot.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624   My surgery is a Wed. so I will mostly likely come home Fri., if I have my way, or Sat.  DD will be home the weekend.  Thanksgiving week she only works 3 days and has the holiday and that Fri. off, then the weekend.  I will be fine.

Nope, no chasing Petunia for awhile.

Honored Contributor

Good luck.  It's all going to go so much smoother and easier than you think.  The first week out of the hospital is a little tough but after that, it gets better and better and then you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.  I want my other knee done but I have to work out the timing; there's the holidays and our winter trip to Florida.  And my surgeon has a 6 month waiting list...which is a bummer.  But it's definitely going to happen in 2020.