Valued Contributor

Re: Finally, a definitive diagnosis for my headaches

I am so glad you found good medical help. I have a friend who had the same thing. It is very rare apparently. Wishing you well and a speedy recovery!

Respected Contributor

@Growing wrote:

I am so glad you found good medical help. I have a friend who had the same thing. It is very rare apparently. Wishing you well and a speedy recovery!

1 in 50000. 😳 thanks for the good thoughts 

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother   It sounds like you have a great and helpful doctor.  Good luck on getting that taken care of.  It's sounds miserable to go through.

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@fairydogmother   It sounds like you have a great and helpful doctor.  Good luck on getting that taken care of.  It's sounds miserable to go through.

Thanks. I'm seeing him for followup today. The headache stopped a week ago YAY

Harmonize the World
Valued Contributor

I live in the Seattle area and we have doctors and hospitals and anything you can think of all over the place. And they're all booked up for weeks or months. I don't like that I have to wait but there's nothing I can do about it--I can't force them to see me if they don't have the time.

Respected Contributor

I have the opposite. Intercranial hypertension due to a rare congenital neural tube defect. They had to do an implant in my skull to help the draining.  I am so happy you saw someone who took the time to explain what was causing your headaches. Never had a single one with my issue! 

Esteemed Contributor

@fairydogmother  I hope that you are still experiencing headache free days.  Your post interested me because my DH has been suffering a headache since March.  He has had blood work and a head MRI with contrast.  They said everything is normal.  He is scheduled to have a large blood draw on Friday to run more tests.  He is also scheduled to have a spinal draw done on July 6th.

My question to you is, what type of tests did they run on you to get this diagnosis?  Did the pain meds help?  He has been on a few different ones, but none have taken it completely away.

TIA if you choose to respond.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs initially my primary physician got lab work and an MRI without contrast, probably to rule out obvious causes like tumors. Yes the Percocet helped the pain. Next was the neurologist referral. He did a thorough exam in the office. He asked me many detailed questions about the headaches. Turns out, it was my description about the onset and character of the headaches that was a diagnostic key. Sudden onset one morning. Gradually worsened during the day. Went away when I laid down to go to bed. Neurologist knew immediately what was causing it. The apparent tiny puncture/leak in my spinal cord reduced the necessary amount of spinal fluid circulating in my brain. This could have been caused by any hard strain such as lifting something heavy, coughing really hard, even being super constipated. As the pressure in my brain dropped, the headaches started. When lying down, the cerebrospinal fluid was able to get up into my brain because of the position of lying down. When I stood up/sat up, fluid level dropped again and the headaches kicked in. This resolved with conservative treatment. However the next step would’ve been an MRI with contrast and a spinal tap. It sounds like your husband is getting the diagnostic attention he needs. Don’t be surprised if there is a neurology referral if nothing is determined by his upcoming tests. I hope my info helps and I pray the best outcome for your husband.

Harmonize the World
Esteemed Contributor

I appreciate your time and prayers, @fairydogmother .  His PCP referred him to a neurologist after his blood work came back normal and steroid treatment did nothing to help.  He suspected something else, Giant Cell Arteritis.  We have been fortunate to get appointments fairly soon, but it seems like a long time when a headache is involved.  His headaches actually are better when he is up and active.  Laying down makes it worse.  

Again, thank you for your imput. It helps to reach out to people on here that have challenges in life, too.  It is wonderful when there is a happy ending. Woman Happy

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!