Respected Contributor

Finally, a definitive diagnosis for my headaches

I've had a debilitating headache since May 2. I've had to curtail a number of my activities. Am taking Percocet for pain. Saw my internist, who ordered an MRI and lab work. He referred me to a neurologist who I saw today, thanks to a cancellation. Otherwise he is booked til July!  He did a thorough exam, asked tons of detailed questions. He has ordered another MRI with contrast (the one last week was without), and a CT scan. To see things more clearly. However he knew within twenty minutes what is causing the headaches. It is a rare disorder called Spontaneous Intracranial Hypotension. What happens is that there is a tiny puncture or tear in the dura (covering) of the spinal cord. The slow leak of spinal fluid depletes the amount of cerebrospinal fluid circulating in the brain. Which causes lower than normal pressure in the brain and results in terrible headaches. Luckily it's treatable if it doesn't resolve on its own within a few weeks. 

Harmonize the World
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Re: Finally, a definitive diagnosis for my headaches

Glad you got a diagnosis.  I have heard that can cause terrible headaches.  Sounds like your on the road to recovery.

Take care

Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother,

That sounds awful! You must be so relieved to get an accurate diagnosis that can also be treated! 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Didn't George Clooney have that several years ago?

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fairydogmother @I had a myelogram done on my back 20 years ago and had a terrible headache afterwards every time I stood up. The next day I went to the hospital where I had the test done  and told the technician. He had me admitted to a room and 1 anesthesiologist got in front of me and another anesthesiologist got behind me and did a "blood patch" or something like that (I can't remember for sure) on my spine where it was leaking. My headache was instantly gone. I feel bad you've been suffering with headaches like that.

Respected Contributor

Frenchlop- yes the “dura patch” procedure is scheduled for three weeks from now, in case the headaches haven’t resolved.

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

I’m so relieved not to have a brain tumor. You can imagine all the awful things that it could have been.

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

Feel better soon @fairydogmother !  Yes, that makes sense. If you ever have a spinal tap and there is a puncture to do this, headache is the main adverse event... 

Esteemed Contributor

Happy it is treatable!  I know the fear you imagine when you know "something is wrong" and don't know what!  

Hopefully it won't interfere with your cruise.

Respected Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

Happy it is treatable!  I know the fear you imagine when you know "something is wrong" and don't know what!  

Hopefully it won't interfere with your cruise.

I hope not! But the cruise is July 16. I think this will be resolved one way or another by then. Thank you

Harmonize the World