Respected Contributor

A bargain

Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

I'm 77 and imho you are never too old for dentistry.

That's what I tell my friends & family too quick to go to dentures.

I'm taking my God given teeth to my grave.

I'm 68

I have good dental coverage through Medicare.

Honored Contributor

@software 

I wanted to get dental insurance through Medicare but the dental plans offered are just to costly to justify getting a plan. My Medicare goes through my state gov retirement plans and those are expensive. So I go without dental.

Trusted Contributor

Just got my pre-treatment estimate as I found out today I have eight cavities - the cost for mine are $259 each.  

Honored Contributor

I'm part of an HMO & there's so much competition around here every year the maximum is increased.   I pay zero premium or I wouldn't have any insurance either.

@SilleeMee wrote:

@software 

I wanted to get dental insurance through Medicare but the dental plans offered are just to costly to justify getting a plan. My Medicare goes through my state gov retirement plans and those are expensive. So I go without dental.

Respected Contributor

No, that is quite reasonable for dental work. Dental costs are rarely less than several hundreds to several thousands.  Im super vigilant about dental care and Do not eat super hard tooth-cracking foods, ie peanut brittle or anything like that! 

Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam 

No, that's not high, especially if it covered multiple surfaces, e.g., Buccal, Lingual, Mesial, Distal, etc.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee :  I've never had dental insurance but we do have a discount plan with the practice we use ( I go semi annually; usually only need cleaning silvery lucky).  DH has had many very expensive procedures over the years but we use Care Credit, as needed, to "spread out the pain".

Esteemed Contributor

I just paid 259 for small filling. No ins. Was 288 ,he gives senior discount.

Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam 

I use DentalSave - it's not insurance, rather a membership / savings plan.  When I retired and lost Dental insurance, my dentist's staff  "introduced me" to this savings plan.

Check with his office staff - they might give you some leads.   I figure I save a lot more than the annual fee with my two dental checkups.