Frequent Contributor

Fighting Vertigo, was dx several years ago with BPPV

Woke up the other evening, thought I had a touch of flu, or ate something bad. Felt extreme nausea and the dizziness was out of this world. Went back to sleep, only to wake up suddenly in the next hour with horrible dizziness and vomiting. Treated myself ( I am an RN) with the idea of flu vs food poisoning, to no avail. After research on Internet on Vertigo, I remembered about being Dx with Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo. Tried several maneuvers, no resolution yet. Any ideas or suggestions?? Thank you! MJ
Contributor

Re: Fighting Vertigo, was dx several years ago with BPPV

My friend had a severe problem when the crystals in her

inner ear became disloged. Have you checked into this?

Esteemed Contributor

I have the same thing. After an initial diagnosis in the ER after an attack so nasty I thought I'd had a stroke, I later had another attack so violent that only someone else doing the maneuver to me (instead of me doing it myself) worked to arrest the projectile vomiting, and even then, I had to take meclizine for a couple of days to stop it fully. The doc warned that staying on the meclizine too long can actually prolong an episode, so he had me wean off of it onto benadryl, which helped the nausea considerably, then off of that.

Whatever you do, do not lay down completely during/after an attack; sleep upright, like in a recliner, for at least 2-3 days to ensure the crystals in your ears don't move around too much.

Good luck!

Frequent Contributor

Sola, yes I did originally see an ENT about 10 years after developing the condition after hitting my head really hard to the point of passing out, on an OR boom. ENT , one day in surgery, noticed my nystagmus . In past 10 years have had to have Epley maneuvers done twice, both by me, the last time about 5 years ago, and now, out of the blue, I think the crystals dislodged again. Thank you for your question and the reply.MJ
Frequent Contributor

SammyCat1, thank you for your advice about sleeping upright. Also will take a Benadryl. Dosage? 25 or 50 mg? Thank you!! MJ
Frequent Contributor

Epley maneuvers work but it can take more than one time for it to fully correct all the vertigo and its symptoms. I had a bad episode a few years ago and had to have it done twice before the symptoms resolved. The speed you do the maneuvers matters and sometimes it works best if someone else guides the process instead of doing it yourself. Sleeping more upright sounds like a good idea too to help the crystals stay in place. I wish you luck in getting this resolved. I know how awful it can make you feel but it sounds like you are on the right track! Please let us know how you are doing!

Respected Contributor

I once had the same thing and the ER said it was an inner ear infection.