Contributor

Re: Fibromyalgia Sufferers...A Place to Meet

Hi Everyone! Okiebug and Beaches21....Sorry I haven't been around for awhile. But in response to your last post about flare-ups and crawling, I am just getting through a year long one. It got to the point of not being able to walk or stand more than a few minutes at a time. Since last December 1st, I had the walking issue. Have recently has all the tests to see what is happening! One morning in December I awoke and couldn't walk! I thought I had polio or a stroke! I was in the most horrible pain in my legs and back. My ankles, knees and calves hurt like I broke them! I had MRI, Cat Scan, Ultrasound of legs and back, nerve testing, blood work-up, etc. I have Spinal Stenosis in my Lower Back and Kidney Disease already....but nothing like this!!! I have been diagnosed with Severe Fibro for over 20 years, but never had this happen! I am still coming off of that flare, but still cannot stand still or walk without a wheelchair. I don't know what my prognosis is, yet. Just got all the results from the tests....Fibro and Stenosis. I also found out that I tore a disc and tore up the area around it, last December. (don't know how) Surgery is not for me due to my Kidney Disease, Lung Disease, etc. also I am 68 and very overweight. Now my cholesterol LDL id very high...never had that before. Thank allyou great friends for being there for me, so I don't feel like it's only ME!

Super Contributor

IdoraLiz, I'm so sorry you are going through so much. I understand how it feels to have multiple things pile on you, it's beyond frustrating.

I'm sending good thoughts your way.

Contributor

SmileOn 9/9/2014 okiebug said:

IdoraLiz, I'm so sorry you are going through so much. I understand how it feels to have multiple things pile on you, it's beyond frustrating.

I'm sending good thoughts your way.

Thanks for the kind thoughts! I just wanted to tell people that Fibro affects all aspects of your body. I never realized about dehydration, till now. I read it here! I have problems with it and didn't really think about all the down times or sleeping we do....and not drinking! DUH! I am sooo happy you guys are here discussing fibro!

Super Contributor

I just found this thread....I am sitting here with tears running down my face reading your posts. I was diagnosed with fibro 3 yrs ago. It helps to know that someone understands what it feels like. Not just the awful physical symptoms, but the emotional strain this evil thing causes. I have been down since Saturday. I had to get moving today...
Honored Contributor

I just got my diagnosis today- now I know and am so relieved. Before I this appointment I did my studying on how fibro can be or is treated. I am taking .25mg of Xanax a day and 1200mg-2400 mg of Mucinex- yes mucinex... some people find pain relief from the guaifensin, of which seems to be working for me. I thought why not give it a go.. Please feel free to check this out- I got a book from Amazon on fibromyalgia and how some find relief from this.. My Doctor said to continue using it and gave me something OTC for dizziness..

I forgot, I added more potassium to my diet & drinking more water- I was also dehydrated.. I had no clue until I saw the blood work a few weeks ago.

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Super Contributor

I just checked back on this thread. I wanted to say hi to everyone. Thank you for starting this thread, and for posting what helps you (and what doesn't). My sister also has fibro. She was diagnosed 20 years ago. We both have been to so many doctors, and sometimes feel like a guinea pig. Neither one of us can take Lyrica. It caused extreme facial swelling after the 2nd dose. I also tried Cymbalta. I was really scared to, because of the side effects and my experience with Lyrica. Well, it did help the burning and pain, however, I couldn't function. Not at all. I couldn't even get up. It made me feel spaced out and I had awful nightmares. It was just too strong I guess. I can't take NSAIDS, and am allergic to codeine, so I am really limited. I have started taking magnesium and potassium supplements this summer. They seem to help a little. Thanks for the tip about drinking more water. I am always dehydrated, and have never made that connection. Thanks again for inviting me in.
Super Contributor

Peachysue, thanks for the reminder about guaifensin, I had totally forgot about it.

Hope the cooler weather has helped some of you - once the front came through I felt better.

I just found out yesterday that the pain management dr I've been going to since the first of the year has left the practice, so I get to start out with another new dr. I'm not entirely unhappy, the dr I was seeing said he knew my neurologist and worked with her patients, but I asked her and she didn't know him (?). He also was very negligent in calling in my refills on a timely basis. My last visit was with the PA, but an intern came in to question me and there were a lot of questions about how I felt about the care I got at the clinic, if my pain levels had lessened with the treatment given me at the clinic, were my prescriptions done in a timely manner, etc. Odd questioning. Next apt is Nov 3, so guess I'll find out.

Honored Contributor

On 9/13/2014 okiebug said:

Peachysue, thanks for the reminder about guaifensin, I had totally forgot about it.

Hope the cooler weather has helped some of you - once the front came through I felt better.

I just found out yesterday that the pain management dr I've been going to since the first of the year has left the practice, so I get to start out with another new dr. I'm not entirely unhappy, the dr I was seeing said he knew my neurologist and worked with her patients, but I asked her and she didn't know him (?). He also was very negligent in calling in my refills on a timely basis. My last visit was with the PA, but an intern came in to question me and there were a lot of questions about how I felt about the care I got at the clinic, if my pain levels had lessened with the treatment given me at the clinic, were my prescriptions done in a timely manner, etc. Odd questioning. Next apt is Nov 3, so guess I'll find out.

Anytime about the guaifensin, okiebug. I found that to be so interesting & started taking it before I got the diagnosis.. Honestly between that and increasing my potassium, my poor legs, at night, have gotten so much better- I know all of you can relate to the pain- wowzie! My worse, so far, was a couple weeks ago when we were in Knoxville for our first football game- I started getting nausea at Cracker Barrel and by the time we got into the stadium, I was having serious burning in my lower ribs- the heat & humidity about did me in so we left and came on back to Atlanta.. I knew then it wasn't my imagination.. I do hope everyone's feeling pretty good this week-end...

okie, I sure hope things work out for you with your new Doctor.. so far I've only seen my primary care physician- my neurologist said I should see a rheumatologist or my PCP.. didn't take her long to give me my diagnosis with all the symptons... she mentioned Lyrica but that's shaky ground for me- right now I'll stick with my Xanax and Mucinex and what I'm doing... for people that think fibro is in our minds, I'd certainly set them straight now!

Hoping now you'll get your scripts in a more timely manner.. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Contributor

Does anyone else (besides me) have an issue with the change of seasons? The changeover from summer to fall is hard for me. It is only mid-September and the high temperatures are only going to be in the 60's and the low temperatures are going to be in the 40's this week. I turned the heat on yesterday because it was 67 degrees in the house. The cooler temperatures not only affect my fibromyalgia, but my osteoarthritis, as well.

My medications work well most of the time (except for this time of the year.) I'm scheduled to see my rheumatologist in a couple of weeks, and I'll ask her if she has any data about whether or not the change of seasons plays a part in how I feel these days.

Honored Contributor

http://www.fibromyalgia-symptoms.org/fibromyalgia_weather.html

Northcoast, I hope this link helps- it's very informative & helped me a lot before I finally got my diagnosis... hope you're feeling well!!!

Go VOLS