Super Contributor

Re: Fibromyalgia Sufferers...A Place to Meet

Nicecupoftea, Okiebug is correct about antidepressants helping fibromyalgia. I was a nurse practitioner before retiring. Wow...it is hard to believe that doctors and nurses in this day and age would not know why and how certain antidepressants help fibromyalgia. It is very common knowledge. Fibromyalgia is not a new condition.

The SNRI antidepressants raise the seratonin and noradrenaline levels in your body, thus helping dull the pain, aid sleep disturbances, and also help those who get the blues...which is common when someone has chronic pain.

If you cannot wear tight clothing and cannot stand anyone to grab or hug you, it sounds like you might benefit greatly from an antidepressant like Cymbalta, Savella, Pristiq, or Lyrica. They are approved by the FDA for treating fibromyalgia.

Many medications are used for several different purposes. The antidepressants are among them. Perhaps we should not call them antidepressants when prescribing them for fibromyalgia patients. Maybe calling them SNRI medications or fibromyalgia medications would be better so that patients are not turned off by the idea of taking one of them.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Occasional Contributor

On 7/31/2014 Madisson said:

Hi Mishell5 and other Fibro Friends, Wow...as many of you know, I have been working my tail off preparing for guests the past few weeks. They arrived Tuesday afternoon (my two sisters and a niece). Then suddenly yesterday afternoon, my brother out in Philadelphia passed away of cardiac arrest. He was only 66. Thank G-d the rest of my immediate family was here with me when it happened. He suffered health problems from exposure to agent orange during the Viet Nam War. He had been on kidney dialysis the last couple years, but seemed to be doing so well. He just retired a year ago. We are all making plans to fly out to Philadelphia for his funeral.

I would very much appreciate it if you could take a moment to remember him and us in your prayers. We are just grief stricken. My brother and his family are Jewish, but I always keep in mind that we all pray to the same God. Thank you, and I hope that you are all doing well. Please remember that life is short, and never take it for granted.

Madisson

Madisson ~ am just now catching up on your blog so wasn't aware before now of your brother's death. I am so sorry that you and your family have lost him and want to add my prayers and love for all of you. Blessings......

Super Contributor

Thank you, Ltdow. That means a lot to me. His sudden death was a shock.

Frequent Contributor

Would anyone describe their pain as ""burning"" Thanks.
Super Contributor

On 8/17/2014 nightnurse said: Would anyone describe their pain as "burning" Thanks.

No, not me. That sounds more like neuropathy.

Super Contributor

http://www.afsafund.org/fibromyalgia.html

I found this article very helpful...it describes some having burning pain.

Super Contributor

Thanks, Addiegal...that was very interesting. Glad I never had the burning feeling! I think being on gabapentin might help people who have that. I'm on it myself for other symptoms.

Super Contributor

Mishelle5, I hope you are feeling somewhat better since the loss of your kitty. I know the loss of someone or something you love is extremely painful. I found this article online where some people describe the loss of a pet as equal to (or, in some cases, far worse than) the loss of a human. The animal-human bond is extremely strong. I'm sure we're all looking forward to your joining us again when you feel ready. (Hugs).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/the-death-of-pet-can-hurt-as-much-as-the-loss...

Frequent Contributor

On 8/17/2014 nightnurse said: Would anyone describe their pain as ""burning"" Thanks.

I have burning pain between my shoulder blades if I sit to long charting. It feels like it is on fire.

Honored Contributor

On 8/19/2014 sneef said:
On 8/17/2014 nightnurse said: Would anyone describe their pain as "burning" Thanks.

I have burning pain between my shoulder blades if I sit to long charting. It feels like it is on fire.

I have burning pain in the top of my forearms and top of my thighs, and sometimes my shns. Haven't had too much of that lately, though.