Frequent Contributor

Re: Fibromyalgia Sufferers...A Place to Meet

Thank you, Michelle, for your very kind words and reaching out to me. You have no idea of how much it means to me ~ blessings to you ~

Super Contributor

On 7/21/2014 Windycity said:

Thank you, Michelle, for your very kind words and reaching out to me. You have no idea of how much it means to me ~ blessings to you ~

You are so welcome. I'm here anytime!

Michelle

Contributor

Thanks for introducing this subject! I have had fibromyalgia for 10-15 years. My mom, her sister and my grandmother all had it. Did not have this name when my grandmother was alive - I think it was referred to as fibromyitis, but I could be very wrong.

I am on Cymbalta, Lyrica, Tramadol, in addition to many other meds for HBP, etc. I am frequently in a lot of pain, stiffness, along with the accompanying depression. My despair includes the fact that I never feel "good", and the fact that I rarely can enjoy time out with friends if it includes walking or even a short vacation.

I am also on c-pap. My knees could use replacing. And I have looked into and am a candidate for bariatric surgery. According to my PCP and rheumatologist, losing a great deal of weight would get me off of "90%" of my meds. Surgery would be 6 months out because here you have to jump through a million hoops first. That feels so overwhelming and has kept me from making even a first step. I was approved by insurance two years ago and just froze. I also fear a huge fibro flare if I do go ahead with surgery. I am divorced and have no living relatives, except a very loving flat-coat retriever.

I look forward to reading about the experiences you have all been through. Kiss

Hi WindyCity and all..... I, too, am a sufferer of Fibro and several other ailments. Have been for over 20 years. They used to say I had Bursitis! Didn't know much about Fibro then. I.too. have gained a lot of weight and cannot get it off. I wanted Bariatric Surgery, but have too many things wrong...one being that I am 68 years old. They wanted to replace my poor knees, but not until I drop lots of weight. I have been dieting without exercise, but am getting nowhere. So my knees won't get better.

I have Family, but they just don't understand my pain and not being able to do many things...especially walk. They tell me to exercise and walk a lot, to regain my strength. I am retired factory worker/office worker. I am NOT lazy. I simply CANNOT walk any longer. I am in extreme pain when I walk more than 20 feet. Grocery shopping in horrible...especially the stores that do not have scooters. After grocery shopping (the only shopping I can do) I am in bed, or recliner, for two days. I know you say you are alone and have only your furry friend, but I would trade places with you! My Family constantly tells me how I hold them back from doing fun things and ruin going places like fairs, zoos, etc. I feel so defeated and uncared about.....like I am just existing, not worthy of living. So, enjoy your furry friend, get your surgery and take care of yourself....you are not alone. There are many of us to talk with. We understand you. (My Husband, won't let me have a furry friends because he says, I can't take care of it. I have always had a dog, but, our pup passed away a year ago (from cancer) and now my health is worse...he says if I can't do the housework then I can't take care of a dog.) Windycity, you can write to me....I will listen.

Super Contributor

IdoraLiz your situation breaks my heart. I have been using a diet that has helped me and it is call the Thyroid Solution Diet. I eat my way, though, but use this doctor's ideas...not eating after 8:00pm and eating low carb, high protein for dinner, with no carb dense foods after mid-late afternoon. It is good to eat protein with every meal or snack. You can find the book on Amazon...it might be something you might use as a tool to lose. Losing weight is so hard when you are on lots of medicines or have ailments that make it difficult. I am sending you a big hug!
Super Contributor

On 7/21/2014 IdoraLiz said:

Thanks for introducing this subject! I have had fibromyalgia for 10-15 years. My mom, her sister and my grandmother all had it. Did not have this name when my grandmother was alive - I think it was referred to as fibromyitis, but I could be very wrong.

I am on Cymbalta, Lyrica, Tramadol, in addition to many other meds for HBP, etc. I am frequently in a lot of pain, stiffness, along with the accompanying depression. My despair includes the fact that I never feel "good", and the fact that I rarely can enjoy time out with friends if it includes walking or even a short vacation.

I am also on c-pap. My knees could use replacing. And I have looked into and am a candidate for bariatric surgery. According to my PCP and rheumatologist, losing a great deal of weight would get me off of "90%" of my meds. Surgery would be 6 months out because here you have to jump through a million hoops first. That feels so overwhelming and has kept me from making even a first step. I was approved by insurance two years ago and just froze. I also fear a huge fibro flare if I do go ahead with surgery. I am divorced and have no living relatives, except a very loving flat-coat retriever.

Hi WindyCity and all..... I, too, am a sufferer of Fibro and several other ailments. Have been for over 20 years. They used to say I had Bursitis! Didn't know much about Fibro then. I.too. have gained a lot of weight and cannot get it off. I wanted Bariatric Surgery, but have too many things wrong...one being that I am 68 years old. They wanted to replace my poor knees, but not until I drop lots of weight. I have been dieting without exercise, but am getting nowhere. So my knees won't get better.

I have Family, but they just don't understand my pain and not being able to do many things...especially walk. They tell me to exercise and walk a lot, to regain my strength. I am retired factory worker/office worker. I am NOT lazy. I simply CANNOT walk any longer. I am in extreme pain when I walk more than 20 feet. Grocery shopping in horrible...especially the stores that do not have scooters. After grocery shopping (the only shopping I can do) I am in bed, or recliner, for two days. I know you say you are alone and have only your furry friend, but I would trade places with you! My Family constantly tells me how I hold them back from doing fun things and ruin going places like fairs, zoos, etc. I feel so defeated and uncared about.....like I am just existing, not worthy of living. So, enjoy your furry friend, get your surgery and take care of yourself....you are not alone. There are many of us to talk with. We understand you. (My Husband, won't let me have a furry friends because he says, I can't take care of it. I have always had a dog, but, our pup passed away a year ago (from cancer) and now my health is worse...he says if I can't do the housework then I can't take care of a dog.) Windycity, you can write to me....I will listen.

YOU are not the problem. No offense but your family is just so wrong. How can they make you feel like that? It's bad enough to suffer, but to be not listened to is just wrong. I hope you take care of yourself.

I am so sorry about the loss of your dog. That is brutal.

Michelle

Contributor

On 7/21/2014 Mishell5 said:
On 7/21/2014 IdoraLiz said:

YOU are not the problem. No offense but your family is just so wrong. How can they make you feel like that? It's bad enough to suffer, but to be not listened to is just wrong. I hope you take care of yourself.

I am so sorry about the loss of your dog. That is brutal.

Michelle

Addiegal and Mishell5.....Thank you both so much for your info. I will take it to heart.

The loss of my dog has been a terrible one, since I am now housebound so much. I tried writing to the Companion Dogs for a trained dog. They are so backlogged with applications that they are no longer taking applications. They are Emotional Support Dogs for Companionship. I have faith that a lonely dog needing a home, and one who is trained, will come my way. I have sooo much love to share. As I said, there are only two of us in our home....Husband and I. (both retired) He made himself a mancave in the basement level and spends all his waking hours there...watching old westerns and war films. (or he spends time outside) I spend all my time in the bedroom and livingroom, kitchen areas. As I said, I have a lot of time for loving and spoiling a dog. Bless you both for taking time for me.

Liz

Super Contributor

I do love my animals! So, I hope a loving dog soon comes your way. I think their love soothes us and is good for our health and the animal sure needs a good loving home. I think some men and women (spouses) do not know how to cope with the illness of their mate...but none are always healthy and well, illness and infirmity comes to most of us sooner or later. We are here for you and no, this is not your fault it is your family's problem that they can not accept your illness.
Frequent Contributor

Does anyone that suffers from Fibro, ever been prescribed Savella. My MD started me on it but the one side effect that will not go away is profuse sweating. I walk around looking like I have just run a marathon, I have started to taper down on it to see what level with stop this embarrassing side effect.

Super Contributor

Sneef, that is a troubling side effect...does it help the fibro? I would hate going around sweating.
Super Contributor

Liz... I really, really hope you can get a dog to care of and vice a versa. Those babies, cats and dogs and the best healers and just loves.

Michelle

Sneef.. I am not familiar with that drug, but those are horrible side effects, Talk with your Dr! You shouldn't have to suffer.

It's morning and what is it about the morning that makes me want to curl up in a ball under the covers and not move? I push through it but it is so hard. I am so so uncomfortable. Ugh!

Michelle