Super Contributor

Fibromyalgia Sufferers...A Place to Meet

Hi Fibromyalgia sufferers, how are you all doing today? In another thread, there was some discussion about starting a fibro thread. I know it has been done in the past, but let's give it a try again.

I've been on the same medication regimen for maybe 8 years, and I'm just starting the big switcheroo in my medications due to side effects. I discovered that the SSNRI drug I've been using (Cymbalta) has been the cause of my hyperhidrosis (profuse perspiration) and breast enlargement. I went from a 36-C to a 42-D during the time I was on it with very little weight gain. The SSRI drugs can cause the same symptoms. If those of you who are on one of these drugs are having either one of these symptoms, that medication may be the cause. You may have read about it on another another thread where we were discussing it. Anyway, I'm weaning off Cymbalta right now, while increasing Gabapentin for pain while we figure out what other drug may be helpful for my fibromyalgia.

Today I'm just running the dogs to the groomer this morning and doing a couple errands. Then I see my internist this afternoon. I fractured a rib about a month ago and continue to have spasms and pain. Wow...that really sent my fibro into orbit! It still really hurts to wear a bra, as directly at the bottom of the bra is the rib that is fractured. With size 42-D breasts, I really need to wear an underwire bra! There is not much they can do about a fractured rib, but he hasn't taken any x-rays. He is assuming it is fractured based on the symptoms. At the last appointment, he said if I was still having symptoms in two weeks, he may x-ray it. So today is the day. Maybe some physical therapy to stop the spasms would be useful.

Please drop by this thread frequently, and let all the other fibro sufferers know how you are doing. Exchanging information and tips is often very useful. I hope you all have a great day. It's going to be beautiful here today. Smile

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Super Contributor

Re: Fibromyalgia Sufferers...A Place to Meet

Madisson, hope the rib soon heals...seems any injury can set the fibro off. Spasms are so painful. Does magnesium help? Good luck on the thread! It sure is nice to share and learn from each other.
Super Contributor

Hi Madisson...thanks for starting this thread. I am so sorry about your broken rib..Ouch. My husband has done that a few times and it healed on its own. Let us know what your Dr. says.

I was so shocked but relieved that you posted about breasts getting bigger (no other way to say it), from the antidepressant. That sure explains what happened to me. I was about a 36 C and went up to a 40 D to DD. I also gained weight...mostly upper body which is NOT the way my body puts on weight. So now I know. I am going to talk to my Dr, about weaning off the Prozac. I was on Neurontin..Gabapentin, years ago. I think we have to revisit that drug. I remember it helping. At the time I did not have fibro yet, so I went off of it. I was on Lyrica for a few months and due to side effects (and potential side effect of weight gain). I stopped it. My Dr. is away but I am seeing her the beginning of Aug.

I have a history of cervical and lumbar stenosis. I started feeling lousy...everything hurting like the flu, tired, weak, etc. I saw a rheumotologist about 3 months ago and aside from degenerative arthritis in my spine, I was diagnosed with Fibro. Not fun but in explained why I was feeling soooo awful. I had MAJOR stresses lately, so I am thinking that it kicked in the Fibro big time.

I am 61.. I am so glad we are going to be discussing this. It is just so frustrating, and it helps to share.

Michelle

Frequent Contributor

Thank you for starting this new Thread, I have Fibro and CFS for the last 18 years. I hope you find out if your ribs are fractured or popped out of alignment. I know a couple of years ago I thought my ribs were fractured but I hadn't suffered any injuries, so I went to my Chiropractor and she popped my ribs back into place. I wont even get started on spasms for now. good luck at appointment.

Super Contributor

Hi Addiegal, I do take a magnesium supplement...but maybe I should increase it. Magnesium is one of those bulky minerals. The tablets are so big, but the milligrams in it are so small. My fibro is better than it was when I initially fractured the rib. The next day I was like a board. I could barely move in any direction. I tried to put the water bowl down on the floor for my furbabies, and I could not bend forward...so I had to do a ballet plie straight down to get the bowl on the floor. I decided that they would have to wait for their food until DH got up, as I had a terrible time getting up from that plie!

Thanks for stopping by. If you are a fibro sufferer, please join us!

Super Contributor

I am probably a firbo sufferer, as I have the symptoms, just haven't been diagnosed officially. Last evening I was standing in the entrance to a restaurant and was too near a door...well a young strong teen thrust the door open into my mid back...man It hurt! And I am feeling achy today...it takes so little doesn't it? Now I am not saying this is a serious injury, it's not, but just that we react differently than normal folks! I sometimes feel like such a wimp! Google magnesium foods and supplement extra with food! Then you can avoid (hopefully) extra pills! Magnesium tablets are very big and hard to swallow.
Super Contributor

Good morning, Mishell5! It's so nice to meet other people who are having the same issues as I am. Mammoplasia is not even mentioned in the package insert.

I think the Gabapentin might be a good medication at least temporarily to help with our pain, while we wean off the problem drugs. You might ask your doctor about the Gabapentin. You have to go on it very slowly though, otherwise you get grogginess and light-headed. It might even help the pain from your cervical and lumbar stenosis. Both my mother and father had the lumbar stenosis, so I try to keep my spine very flexible so that doesn't happen. I've got enough pain to deal with!

I hope you stressors are getting easier to deal with. They don't necessarily cause the fibro, but they certainly can aggravate it. When we are stressed, we tend to hold our muscles tight. Who know what causes fibro? I went to work one day feeling great, and I came home that night with severe fibromyalgia. {#emotions_dlg.crying} Weird!

Hope you have a great day!

Super Contributor

On 7/21/2014 addiegal said: I am probably a firbo sufferer, as I have the symptoms, just haven't been diagnosed officially. Last evening I was standing in the entrance to a restaurant and was too near a door...well a young strong teen thrust the door open into my mid back...man It hurt! And I am feeling achy today...it takes so little doesn't it? Now I am not saying this is a serious injury, it's not, but just that we react differently than normal folks! I sometimes feel like such a wimp! Google magnesium foods and supplement extra with food! Then you can avoid (hopefully) extra pills! Magnesium tablets are very big and hard to swallow.

Hi addeigal! I kind of knew I had Fibro before I was officially diagnosed. In fact, my daughter googled all my symptoms and "diagnosed" me.

I cannot believe that happened to you. OUCH! Yes, even little things are more intense with fibro. I hope you are feeling better from that mishap. That achy feeling, for me, is one of the worst symptoms, along with the weakness and being tired. It's like a mild or not so mild flu without the cold symptoms, if you know what I mean. You're not a wimp! LOL! I will check out the magnesium. I am on some vitamins that the rheumotologist told me to take, but I don't feel a difference. I also have to be careful about my diet because I have GERD and IBS. I found the FODMAP diet...which is really just eliminating certain foods and adding back on.. (anyone with stomach problems should really google this..it really helped me).

Michelle

Super Contributor

On 7/21/2014 addiegal said: I am probably a firbo sufferer, as I have the symptoms, just haven't been diagnosed officially. Last evening I was standing in the entrance to a restaurant and was too near a door...well a young strong teen thrust the door open into my mid back...man It hurt! And I am feeling achy today...it takes so little doesn't it? Now I am not saying this is a serious injury, it's not, but just that we react differently than normal folks! I sometimes feel like such a wimp! Google magnesium foods and supplement extra with food! Then you can avoid (hopefully) extra pills! Magnesium tablets are very big and hard to swallow.

Addiegal, Sorry to hear about your back. Hope it feels better soon. Sounds like you need to see a good rheumatologist to see if you have fibro. It certainly sounds like you have the symptoms. Hope you have a great day!

Super Contributor

On 7/21/2014 Madisson said:

Good morning, Mishell5! It's so nice to meet other people who are having the same issues as I am. Mammoplasia is not even mentioned in the package insert.

I think the Gabapentin might be a good medication at least temporarily to help with our pain, while we wean off the problem drugs. You might ask your doctor about the Gabapentin. You have to go on it very slowly though, otherwise you get grogginess and light-headed. It might even help the pain from your cervical and lumbar stenosis. Both my mother and father had the lumbar stenosis, so I try to keep my spine very flexible so that doesn't happen. I've got enough pain to deal with!

I hope you stressors are getting easier to deal with. They don't necessarily cause the fibro, but they certainly can aggravate it. When we are stressed, we tend to hold our muscles tight. Who know what causes fibro? I went to work one day feeling great, and I came home that night with severe fibromyalgia. {#emotions_dlg.crying} Weird!

Hope you have a great day!

Hi! I never even heard of Mammoplasia before you mentioned it. Wow... what an eye opening fact! I emailed my Dr.(who is away) about going on the Gabapentin. I will see her soon. She is the psychiatrist who deals with the prozac, etc. but she recommended it years ago based on my complaints of my back and legs hurting. I remember feeling a little light-headed. I was a little too anxious and we upped the med too fast, and yup...too dizzy, so I stopped. I really want to try it again.

The stress for me was huge. My husband, who had lymphoma in his stomach at 40 years old, was doing great for 20 years (after surgery no other treatment). In Sept. 2012 he got laid off of a job by people we thought we knew... very unexpected..... New management and all that, and the same day we found out he needed a kidney biopsy. Turned out he had Amyloidosis. Like cancer but not.. Well, we got ourselves back to Sloan with an expert in the field and he went through chemo, and a stem cell transplant. It was he#L. He had a lot of reactions to the chemo and we were in and out of the hospital, aside from the regular stays. Right now he is fine, (knock wood), but it is always just there, if you know what I mean...So now jobless and on the mend. After that ordeal the job part is the least of it, but still . Oh well, I am rambling, but that gives you an idea of the stress. I was holding it together and then when he was well on the way to health, I fell apart.

Yes... I never thought of that. Holding in all the muscles when stressed. On days that are particularly stressful, like a day after a Sloan check up, or even a visit to my dr. I really feel awful.

You are so smart to keep your spine in good shape. My daughter does the same thing, especially after seeing what I am going through. My son too!

I am so glad we have this thread to go to.

It is beautiful here today to. I hope to get outside and get some pool time. The sun helps me feel better! I hope you have a good day, and let us know what your internest says about your rib!

Michelle