Esteemed Contributor

Re: Fibro ladies, mattress recommendations please?

On 12/11/2014 espree said: I originally bought the Tempurpedic a year and a half ago but I slept so hot! Returned it for the Sleep Number i10 and love it!

ITA about memory foam being hot.

I've been diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and suspect Fibro as well. The best for me has been to get a fairly firm, mid-range price mattress and add a fluffy, thick down alternative topper.

It gives me a firm base for my lower back and the topper gives cushioning for my hips and shoulders.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Super Contributor

On 12/11/2014 adelle38 said:
On 12/11/2014 Peachysue said:

I sure hope you ladies don't laugh when I tell you what I sleep on... first it started on my sleep number but I'd fiddle with the numbers and couldn't find relief on my lateral hips and back- you gals know all the sore spots.. anyway, I got a 4" foam topper and put that on top of the sleep number, well that just wasn't right so here comes the funny- I added two thin quilts and that made the difference.. it really did the job... also got a good Martha Stewart pillow and I sleep with only a polar fleece blanket for cover... Honestly when we travel I don't sleep worth a darn, fighting with those horrible mattresses... I have found quite the relief in my legs and hips- again it's funny what works for one doesn't work for another... I like the soft yet it's firm enough..

This made me LOL! I thought I was the only one with the Princess and the Pea disease {#emotions_dlg.laugh}.

Super Contributor

Hi ladies! After about 6 yrs., and 3 tries, my search is over. I also like memory foam for relief from fibro and other issues. This past summer, we purchased an ISO Cool 3" memory foam topper. It came with a 2" thick, breathable, washable, cotton topper. It has the attached, elastic skirt that holds it in place on our mattress. For a total of 5" of comfort. It really is cooler than our older foam topper. (I am currently going through night sweats and hot flashes, and this has helped some, with that "fun stuff")! It was on sale at JCP, and I also had a promo for free shipping. We use high thread count, cotton sheet sets too, or the nerves in my hips, legs, and feet go crazy. This past week, I can use my Berkshire Fluffy blanket. Yay! I received a My Pillow for my birthday last month, and it truly is helping my neck and shoulders to relax.

Occasional Contributor

I tried several before finding one that is "just right"! Hated the Temperpedic - too hot and did not care for the foam. After a short time it felt creepy to me and claustrophobic as well.

The sleep number was a pain. Hubby one number, me another, huge gap in the middle that was problematic. I never felt comfortable regardless of the number. I also worried about the build up of bacteria, mold, mildew, etc., within the chambers. Out it went when I bought something new.

The brand I purchased is Schifmann. (sp?) It's carried at Bloomingdales in my area (north of Chicago) but I bought it at a furniture store out here. Not inexpensive, but worth every penny in terms of hips, knees, neck, shoulders and sleep...you know what I'm talking about when you have fibromyalgia.

It is a wretched and ongoing disorder. I would probably do anything to lessen any pain.

Respected Contributor

I found the best bed for fibro was a waveless waterbed that I had for years plus mine did look like the picture above because I must have had 15 comforters on it. It finally sprung a leak and I woke up swimming in it. That's what I get for having 3 cats.

I bought the softest plush mattress I could find and now I hurt again. I have loaded it up with blankets and pillows and it is not perfect but at least I can finally move my bed again in 40 years and I won't drown. It's getting a little better so maybe it takes awhile to adjust.

My cats like this bed just as much as all they so is claw at the sides of the mattress. I give up.

If I had to do it over I would have bought another waterbed, but I needed something right away but I really miss it.

Honored Contributor

About seven years ago I bought a very expensive mattress with a thick memory foam topper. I hate it and will replace it soon. Just months after buying it, it was sagging where I slept. I weigh 135 lbs., so I don't feel the weight should have done that. I will never buy another bed with memory foam. I'll be replacing it soon but haven't been able to justify doing that until now due to cost.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

what works for me is a good med.-firm mattress, a feather bed. also can not sleep without my body pillow. I can rest where ever I hurt on the pillow ans it keeps me from rolling over to a sore spot. everyone is different!!,
Honored Contributor

Just thought- if you have achy hips, I get relief by sleeping with a body pillow next to me and wrapping my arms and legs around it. When I was first diagnosed, I had a body pillow shaped like a "U" and I slept with my head in the bottom of the "U".
Honored Contributor

On 12/11/2014 adelle38 said:
On 12/11/2014 Peachysue said:

I sure hope you ladies don't laugh when I tell you what I sleep on... first it started on my sleep number but I'd fiddle with the numbers and couldn't find relief on my lateral hips and back- you gals know all the sore spots.. anyway, I got a 4" foam topper and put that on top of the sleep number, well that just wasn't right so here comes the funny- I added two thin quilts and that made the difference.. it really did the job... also got a good Martha Stewart pillow and I sleep with only a polar fleece blanket for cover... Honestly when we travel I don't sleep worth a darn, fighting with those horrible mattresses... I have found quite the relief in my legs and hips- again it's funny what works for one doesn't work for another... I like the soft yet it's firm enough..

EXACTLY how I describe it. ;-)

Esteemed Contributor

From my 8+ 'yeras' teaching, in a paid suppot group, at a hospital sponsored by the top physician in this state, knowledgable to Fibromyalgia.

There is no perfect mattress that has been endorsed (that I am aware of) by the fibro.org group for this auto immune syndrome/symptoms.

Personlly, from what I have gather through muti personal leads who have fibromyalgia, there appears to be a ratio of higher numbers for a mattress that has some 'give', not a plush type found in the European soft tops. The best that I can remember would be a medium to firm. I would come to believe that a soft mattress would feel better on painful muscles .......BUT those wear out within a year, as I have been told and present a huge sagging that DOES NOT "SUPPORT" __DEconditioning muscles__.

The same as having severe arthritis.

The poor body's muscle alignment needs all of the added support but ``NOT the CUSHION that breaks down.

Investigate for an investmenet, a high quality mattress.

*Staaaaay at the mattress store and try each one out-over & over. Have someone go with you that may have the same maldies.

_Naes