Honored Contributor

Fibro -- Your experiences with the meds

I tried to post on this yesterday but my posting must not have worked!

I know there have been topics on this in the past, but since the revamp of the system, I cannot find them.

I am going to speak to my dr. about my fibro as I am having so much pain and problems, that I feel I can no longer handle all of this without anything.  I am scared to start taking any of these meds, but really need to do something as my quality of life --- well, it's just not there any more.

Would some of you that suffer from this be good enough to post and list what meds you take, what has worked for you, what has not, etc.?  It would really be helpful to me.

Thanks so much for all your help!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

Re: Fibro -- Your experiences with the meds

Spoiler

It's not a good idea for people to discuss meds they take on social media, and  you need to let your qualified physician determine what 

you need according to your symptoms and final diagnosis. 

Everyone has an individual and  personal experience with Fibro and there are too many meds to discuss here and they treat different cases.

If you are seeing a neurologist about this, then you should trust them to come up with the right meds for your individual needs.

In the meantime, if you aren't allergic or haven't been told not to, try some of the NSAID's out now to help you.  Ask your pharmacist what might be best for you.

BTW, just to inform you, we aren't supposed to share or recommend that kind of information on these Forums, and if not a licensed medical person qualified, no one should be doing it here or elsewhere anyway.

I hope you see your physician soon and feel better. Heart

Think positive !

Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry that you've joined the "club". Membership certainly doesn't have a lot of perks, but knowing that there are lots of us helps at least a little.

It took me YEARS to get my very good internest even to test me for the 18 Points, and when he did, there were 17.
I knew I had had severe fatigue for years, but around the time I was diagnosed I was also in a terrible work situation and the legal caregiver of my wonderful mother, who had broken her hip and had dementia. I was in pain all the time, but I also knew something that was helpful very early on.
I knew that if fibro was Enemy #1, STRESS was always a close second. Now, about ten years post diagnosis, I know that when I flare, stress is ALWAYS part of it, whether I can consciously be aware of it or not.
Unfortunately for me, or maybe fortunately, I could never feel comfortable taking any medicine that would make me gain weight.
Therefore, I've never tried any of the current arsenal of drugs. I ALWAYS have Tylenol + Codeine available, but I cut the tablets into quarters, and take as little as possible and only at night and only when I absolutely must.
Just after I was diagnosed, an acquaintance told me that a friend of hers had been heavy, and had become almost non symptomatic after having weight loss surgery.
I wasn't a candidate, but when I lost a great deal of weight by cleaning up my eating routine, I did feel better more often.
When I'm under intense stress, which of course happens all the time, I use biofeedback, stretching, and relaxation techniques.
Just recently, I've been supplementing with tart cherry twice a day. I take fish oil and Turmeric supplements every day. I stay up on research about fibro, and I attack symptoms one at at time.
I try hard to have something wonderful, even something tiny, happen in my life every day.
Sometimes I take OTCs, but again, in tiny doses.
I have a sleep routine and stick to it as much as possible.
The Tart Cherry is helping me to achieve a deeper level of sleep. I know I'll have a better day if I have 5 or so hours of night time sleep instead of two night time night time "naps" of 3 hours each.
I can't compare my life to what it was before I was diagnosed so in my mind, there's no good reason to do that. There are still a lot of things I CAN enjoy, and truthfully, it's fun to find new ones.
I DO know that I might have to try one of the specific meds in the future, but feeling as though I have even a small measure of ability to manage symptoms in my present condition gives me a certain sense of self empowerment, and I think that's important.
LEARN EVERYTHING YOU CAN FIND about this miserable THING, and keep up with the most current research. Even if only a small amount of it relates to your personal situation, knowledge is power.
Hope you can find something useful to you in my experiences.
Valued Contributor

I won't list all the meds I take~for me, that's TMI! But, I will say, I've had a severe ortho injury, Fibro & MS for many many years. I have severe chronic pain and I'm on many different melds. The pain doesn't completely go away...it's always there at some intensity. I'm an RN (30+ years) and have worked for closely with patients dealing with acute and chronic pain management, and their physicians. There are no two people who experience pain the same way.
There are many different classifications and types of medications that you and your doctor need to review, try out and make a plan suited to you. Again, everyone's pain, and their tolerance r/t meds are different.
Most true diagnosed chronic pain patients go through a plethora of testing and diagnostic procedures so that what their feeling is consistent with the diagnostic process. And that process validates their pain.
Medication management is much more than writing a prescription. It's a constant relationship with your doctor. Evaluating the efficacy and the patients relief or, lack thereof.
If you go online you'll find many resources, articles and organizations that offer information and support. I wish you good luck and, some relief.
Honored Contributor

I agree talk with your doctor about what med might be right for you /or not be.. and please read about what foods can trigger inflammation in the body.

Good Luck

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Honored Contributor

Thanks for your replies. 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin