Contributor

Re: Fellow Walkers & Pedestrians - How do you handle

I think a Sunday walk in the park sounds great!  Thanks for the suggestion.

Quite the coincidence that you now live in Studio City!   There's something about that area that I just love.  I even have Zillow notify me when there's a new listing there.

Did you have any problem adjusting to the change in weather (the heat!)?

Maybe someday we'll be neighbors!

Contributor

GCR18

Thanks for that suggestion!  I was afraid it might not be loud enough but, if it works for a bike on second thought, it should work for a person : )

Honored Contributor

@sockmonkey wrote:

I think a Sunday walk in the park sounds great!  Thanks for the suggestion.

Quite the coincidence that you now live in Studio City!   There's something about that area that I just love.  I even have Zillow notify me when there's a new listing there.

Did you have any problem adjusting to the change in weather (the heat!)?

Maybe someday we'll be neighbors!

Considering the past few years, it's hot on both sides of the hill!     I've always found it best to do any errands early in the day, no matter where I live.  I like SC because you can be over Laurel Canyon into the city in 15 minutes, and are near the 101, 134, and 170 freeways, and the 405 isn't that far, either.   It feels like a "central" location to me.

I'm so happy to share "my" park with you .... let me know your thoughts after your first walk.   I always considered it heaven.

Honored Contributor

I did my running all outdoors for 15 years before I got my treadmill. At times I would run on a high school Quarter mile track and keep as much of my running as possible on residential streets(no stop lights) or country type roads with little traffic.

When I did run on divided streets I would run on the island between the 4-6 lanes. Unless on the sidewalk I always ran against the flow of the traffic, the safest way to do so.

Sure I ran into a lot of jerk drivers, but I was never impatient enough to let it bother me. I just chalked it up for what it was and continued my run. 

I ran for several different reasons, 1 of which was to relax. No way I would let any jerk interfere with that phase of my run.

That is how I handled it.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

If at all possible find another place to walk.  I had to because of the traffic in our area.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is a sore subject with me.  I walk all the time.   I encounter people who don't look when they are backing out of their driveways.   They just back out quickly.   I usually yell really loud while I'm getting out of the way.  That startles them.   What would an elderly person or a child do if they didn't see them backing out or couldn't get away fast enough?   It's scary to think.

I almost got run over by a water delivery truck yesterday.  I was in the crosswalk and he came to the intersection and proceeded to turn in front of me.   I had to run ahead to avoid being hit.   I got the number on his truck and reported him to the company.   

I'm always very cautious and look both ways and stay out of the way of distracted drivers if I can.  People don't "drive" anymore.  They do so much in their car driving is secondary.   

Two other things as a walker that makes steam come of out my ears are people who park their cars on a sidewalk so I have to walk in the street. What about people with a cane or a walker or a baby carriage?  They have to walk in the street!    I also get miffed about sprinklers that drench a sidewalk and you are forced into the street to walk.  I fell once on wet pavement and do not walk when it's that wet and slippery.

Pedestrians are 2nd class citizens in this "me" world, I'm afraid.

Good post!   At least I don't feel alone in my disdain!

Honored Contributor

For me, it's just basic stuff.   Never assume ANYTHING.   You have to be hugely diligent - don't just watch the vehicles, watch the people inside the vehicles.

I also  have a rule about NOT walking out in front of any car - whether it's stopped completely or maybe coming up from a distance.   I can wait.

I remember (this is sort of unrelated but it explains my never walking out in front of any car) one time, many years ago.   A friend was walking along the side of a building, toward the front to enter the building, as another acquaintenance came up to park, facing, up against the building.    There were parking spaces lined out for people to park there but no bumper like you see these days.  The person in the car decided to fake her out by gunnig it a little bit like he was going to run into her.  Innocent, but stupid.   Well, something went wrong and he actually ended up running into her, pinning her up against the building.  She lost both legs.  

I know that's an extreme example but that was the day that I decided never to walk in front of a car again for any reason.

Valued Contributor

OP,  I feel your pain! Although I don't live in an urban area, I just don't enjoy walking for exercise outdoors. I use Leslie  Sansone's walk program (no, I don't work for her) indoors every day. I get a great 3-5 mile workout and then if I do choose to walk outsde, it's at my leisure. I step it up by walking forward and backward when she walks in place. Good luck to you.

Contributor

I just wanted to thank everyone for their responses!  I really appreciate the comments, suggestions and commisseration.

I do plan on trying the walk in the park and have done Leslie Sansone's videos so may go back to those if things get too bad.

Thanks again and Happy trails : )