Honored Contributor

Re: Fellow Walkers & Pedestrians - How do you handle

I am fortunate to live in a nice neighborhood friendly to walkers and such. There is a comunity park about 1/2 mile away with grass, a stream Paved paths  and wild life refuge. Very little traffic. They even supply poop stations For walking your dog , with bags and a place to put them. I go there almost every day. I try to go where there is less traffic.  Yes, drivers can be inconsiderate to walkers, bikers and runners. I wish you safe passage on your walks.  Walking inside is just not the same.

Trusted Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@lavendar wrote:

I both walk and drive. I'm more frightened driving. Last week a young man talking on the phone and walking two dogs crossed during a yellow light. Thank God I saw him; he didn't hear my horn.

I usually walk in a park but live in an urban area and do errands on foot. The minute a pedestrian steps into the crosswalk he has the right to be there.

yes you LEGALLY have the right to step out into the crosswalk and everyone driving is supposed to stop - but do you seriously have no common sense? And you do not have the right to just run up to a crosswalk and keep going without stopping and looking. Geez Louise , didn't you people have parents? Didn't they teach you how to cross the street? You have to look both ways and look back toward the left again, as that is the car that would hit you first. 

When I was driving I used to get so mad at the bicycle messanger guys - they would ride between the drivers in the rt lane and the sidewalk - often you wouldn't see them when you made the rt turn.

It is not true that everyone is supposed to stop if a pedestrian steps onto a crosswalk.  Different states have different rules related to different types of crosswalks generally categorized as controlled or uncontrolled (usually  means no traffic lights).  Some states even specify yielding when the pedestrian is within a certain distance from the car - pretty complicated stuff.   Even if they have to stop or yield, practically it really comes down to the pedestrian pretty much has to be responsible for themselves as you mentioned. 

Honored Contributor

I used to do a LOT of walking on streets (as opposed to street walking, lol) and always looked for routes with minimal traffic and exhaust fumes, which are pretty awful.  Drivers on the way to and from work are super distracted and so I always had a small high beam flashlight in my pocket or put the strap on my wrist.   If I was stepping off the curb and the drivers eyes were elsewhere, I shone the light on their inner dash board (not their eyes).   This always got their attention.

However, IMO, walking should be as peaceful as possible ... preferably in a park or walking the perimeter.    Second choice is now mall walking during off hours.   It's safe, there are security guards, and benches to take a short sit.   Walking laps in a mall is the safest place to walk, IMO.

Contributor

Thanks everyone for the varied responses and suggestions!

SeaMaiden, that sounds like such a great place to walk!  I live in Los Angeles, about 5 blocks from Century City and 6 blocks from Rodeo Drive so rural is not an option : (

To be honest, I really was hoping that someone had heard of a pedestrian horn : ) That would be so much fun!

I walk because I was recently diagnosed with osteoporosis and they suggested walking.  I also "step" at home but just recently added the walking to my regimen.

I think I am an extremely courteous and thoughtful pedestrian - I look at everything from the driver's side.  

For example, if I'm going to cross the street, have the right of way and there are no cars, I will check to see if the car making a left has a clear path and if they do, I signal for them to go.  I know how annoying it is to finally have traffic clear so that you can make a left turn and then a pedestrian walks off the curb and you can't turn.  So, I am very mindful of that and won't walk if the traffic is clear for the left-turn-maker.

There are definitely other paths I can take but, part of my walk almost always includes a trip to the post office (about 1 1/2 miles one way) so my routes sometimes aren't that flexible.

I think I'll invent some kind of a horn.  Watch for me on Shark Tank ; )

Honored Contributor

You could get a bicycle horn.  I imagine they are fairly light weight.

Honored Contributor

@sockmonkey wrote:

Thanks everyone for the varied responses and suggestions!

SeaMaiden, that sounds like such a great place to walk!  I live in Los Angeles, about 5 blocks from Century City and 6 blocks from Rodeo Drive so rural is not an option : (

To be honest, I really was hoping that someone had heard of a pedestrian horn : ) That would be so much fun!

I walk because I was recently diagnosed with osteoporosis and they suggested walking.  I also "step" at home but just recently added the walking to my regimen.

I think I am an extremely courteous and thoughtful pedestrian - I look at everything from the driver's side.  

For example, if I'm going to cross the street, have the right of way and there are no cars, I will check to see if the car making a left has a clear path and if they do, I signal for them to go.  I know how annoying it is to finally have traffic clear so that you can make a left turn and then a pedestrian walks off the curb and you can't turn.  So, I am very mindful of that and won't walk if the traffic is clear for the left-turn-maker.

There are definitely other paths I can take but, part of my walk almost always includes a trip to the post office (about 1 1/2 miles one way) so my routes sometimes aren't that flexible.

I think I'll invent some kind of a horn.  Watch for me on Shark Tank ; )

@sockmonkey

Oh good grief ..... I lived in Westwood for many years and loved driving over to the park by the old Aaron Spelling mansion.    It's called Holmby Park and is on Beverly Glen, north of Wilshire.   Definitely worth driving over to!

Sometimes I'd walk the perimeter and sometimes I walk through the neighborhood streets surrounding the park.

Candy Spelling sold the mansion to a Russian heiress. 

Contributor

Hi Tinker,

Thanks for the suggestion!  I know exactly where you're talking about!  I'd drop my niece off at UCLA and would drive by every almost day!  

I haven't given thought to driving to walk but, just might do that.  I'm not that familiar with that park, I've just driven by so many times.  There's also Roxbury, which I walk through to get to Century City but, they have that mulch on the trail which makes it a little "wobbly".  

If you don't mind me asking, do you still live in the Los Angeles area?

Thanks again!

Honored Contributor

@sockmonkey wrote:

Hi Tinker,

Thanks for the suggestion!  I know exactly where you're talking about!  I'd drop my niece off at UCLA and would drive by every almost day!  

I haven't given thought to driving to walk but, just might do that.  I'm not that familiar with that park, I've just driven by so many times.  There's also Roxbury, which I walk through to get to Century City but, they have that mulch on the trail which makes it a little "wobbly".  

If you don't mind me asking, do you still live in the Los Angeles area?

Thanks again!

Yes, I now live in Studio City, and love it, but I do miss that park.   I think it's so important to walk in beautiful surroundings ... the oxygen level is higher in parks and the beauty of nature lifts your spirits, which is important in urban areas.   Even going every Sunday morning, for instance, will make your whole day. 

Honored Contributor

I would NEVER touch anyone elses car when walking across the street! You knocked on her window? Why? If you were walking behind her, why knock on her window? Woman Frustrated

"Pure Michigan"
Contributor

Hi ID2,

I knocked because she was still texting.  I told her to stop texting (illegal) and to pay attention to traffic and pedestrians, which hopefully she will do going forward : )