Valued Contributor

Re: Fell in the Grocery Store - 6 wks post op THR

So sorry you fell, is it possible that no one heard you, People are really good hearted and want to help.

Trusted Contributor

@CatsyCline   Glad you are ok.  Employees are probably told to stay away because of so many law suits that are fake. 

Honored Contributor

So sorry you fell, stories like this scare me, I am 3 weeks post op THR

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

It is fortunate you were able to get up on your own especially after you had a hip operation.

It would not be surprising if you did not have some discomfort later from the fall.

It is a sad thing when someone would not offer help to anyone who fell. Not having someone come to help must have be unpleasant for you. Sincerely I am sorry you had to go through that alone.

Hopefully you will not have any discomfort other than a memory of a very bad experience.

Blessings.

Respected Contributor

@CatsyCline  I'm so sorry this happened to you, hope you're alright. Can't believe no one came to help you. Unbelievable 

Respected Contributor

@CatsyCline   I'm glad you weren't badly hurt, especially so soon after your hip replacement. Regardless of the reason that no one from the store stepped in to help you, you should let store management/corporate know that this happened to you. I'm sure they have protocols for times when employees fall or are injured on the job and your situation would be similar to that. Just send the appropriate manager/division an email objectively stating what happened with the date, time, store location and department, as well as any treatment you sought as a result. The purpose of the email is simply to register the fact that you fell while shopping in their store. Hopefully, everything will be fine, but if not, you're on record as having advised them of what occurred while it's fresh in your mind. When I was a federal manager, we always documented workplace mishaps within a day or so after they occurred to ensure we knew what happened in case there were problems later. Hopefully, you'll never need to refer to this again!

Esteemed Contributor

@CatsyCline  😮Bless your heart! This story really grinds my gears.😠 Thank GOODNESS you were not seriously harmed!!

To ignore you in such a manner is inexcusable, and I think a meeting with the store management is in order, because this reflects negatively on them. A carefully crafted letter to corporate seems in order as well.

They need to be made aware of the butcher's callous inaction. I would certainly want to know if I had an employee that could potentially open up the store to litigation. It is just bad public relations.😐

I'm really very sorry this happened to you, and hope this will not affect your THR recovery.🤞

~~~All we need is LOVE💖 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

It just might be store policy to not render aid, in any form or fashion, because (A) they are not trained and (B) it could open them up to lawsuits.

For example, where I work, someone could fall to the floor clutching their chest from a heart attack, and even though I know CPR, I have not been officially trained through my job to do CPR. So I would have to just stand there and do nothing, until a law enforcement officer, or paramedic showed up.

If I tried to administer CPR anyway, I could get fired for not following protocol.

Secondly, there are people out there who fake slip and falls, just to get some $ from the store, and if an employee lays so much as one finger on the person, that person can then make the claim that by touching them, they made the injury worse, and try to extort even more money from the store.

So while it may seem "callous" on the surface , I would cut the employee some slack, because he may have had no choice in the matter.

By helping, it could have cost him his job.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Trusted Contributor

@grandma2pkmh I agree that the store employees are instructed NEVER to touch someone who falls in the store.  I'm uncertain that they are even supposed to ask you if they should call 911 on your behalf because that might implicate the store in acknowledging that an accident occurred and they might have some liability.

I'm supposing they chose to ignore the incident hoping you were OK and if you weren't you would take the proper steps to find out what your legal options are on your own.

Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline 

first of all glad your on the mend & feeling better🙂

BUT, this brings to mind something I never understood.  A few years ago I was being waited on at the deli counter--the young girl waiting on me just "passed out" onto the floor.

I was shocked that no one behind the counter helped her.  I went directly to CS and got manager -- he said "OK"🤷‍♀️😡.  Well, she suffered from seizures and the staff was instructed to just call "911".  By the time they came she was awake and alert.

I was surprised no one was concerned ...but,they were aware of her condition.  So that was fine.

Recently as last Saturday, I was checking out -- older lady in front of me holding onto cart.  She was done and went to reach for her walker -- and fell backwards.

The young clerk just stood there -- of course, I jumped in to help her.  I asked her if she was ok because I saw her bang her head --she didn't at first answer, but,then asked where she was?

I said to the clerk get the Manager & I called 911.

The young manager (maybe 21 years old) said "we don't do anything due to liability-- just call 911.. What??? Of course, I think that's terrible but the litigious society we live in -- I can understand this -- don't agree with it but guess that's our "new" world🙄🤷‍♀️