Honored Contributor

Re: Fell down the steps last night

Hello my friend @LilacTree,

Happy to hear from you today. Everyone has "luck", some good and some bad. The word "luck" was another word I heard over and over again from my co-workers/my friends, and even just acquaintances. Seems to everyone my luck has always been the "good kind", if I were to listen to others.

I was lucky I was not married/lucky to be thin/lucky I did not get drafted/lucky to have a job/lucky to still be alive and the beat goes on and on. My good luck was having my mother teach me the route to an independent life at a very young age. Always told me it was up to me to make good or bad choices, and not to place blame on anything or anyone for the choices I made/make.

Never been one to even think about luck in much of anything. Have always believed that my benefits(luck?) would come from dedication and hard work, or just making decisions I felt were the best ones for me and my life. Made many bad choices for sure, and my "luck"(?) was not the good kind. I made the choices and I worked my way through them.

Tried to cover in my other post the many exceptions for many around my age that cannot possibly do the things I was/am able to do. Things do happen to people as they age that they cannot control regardless of how hard they try. While I do consider myself to be lucky, my experiences in life have been most that are "said to have good luck", coincidentally seem to also be the ones that have made "good decisions and worked hard for their good fortune".

Always been one to think everything thoroughly through before making any major decisions in my life's direction. Remember, I got married for the first time at age 62. Was that because of my "good luck", as many of my married friends used to tell me?  Nope, it was my choice, a lot of which I saw happening close around me with friends and family members that married at a young age. Luck !

I do consider myself to be fortunate that with hard work over the last 3 months, I now consider myself once again to be an ice skater. When I posted that I broke a rib falling, a majority of those that responded suggested that "I give up trying before I really hurt myself".

I thought very seriously about which way would be best for me physically and mentally. My decision was to go to Physical Therapy to work on improving my balance, and spending many hours over 3 months at home before I even thought about putting on my ice skates again. I had some minor trepidations before I stepped onto the ice again for sure.

It makes me feel fortunate when I see everything you are going through, both physically and mentally. My wish is that you were able to get through your day without any pain and be able to function more in the many things, I think many take for granted.

Always good communicating with you about any topic, including this one. I am happy your daughters and granddaughters are there to help you when necessary, that is true love for their mother and grandmother.

Take good care of yourself and every time I see your name on any forums I visit, I am sending my good thoughts your way. Say hello to those girls(ladies) that are helping you when you need them,

Your Friend,

JOhn

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@LilacTree What John said!  ((((hugs))))

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

Hello my friend @LilacTree,

Happy to hear from you today. Everyone has "luck", some good and some bad. The word "luck" was another word I heard over and over again from my co-workers/my friends, and even just acquaintances. Seems to everyone my luck has always been the "good kind", if I were to listen to others.

I was lucky I was not married/lucky to be thin/lucky I did not get drafted/lucky to have a job/lucky to still be alive and the beat goes on and on. My good luck was having my mother teach me the route to an independent life at a very young age. Always told me it was up to me to make good or bad choices, and not to place blame on anything or anyone for the choices I made/make.

Never been one to even think about luck in much of anything. Have always believed that my benefits(luck?) would come from dedication and hard work, or just making decisions I felt were the best ones for me and my life. Made many bad choices for sure, and my "luck"(?) was not the good kind. I made the choices and I worked my way through them.

Tried to cover in my other post the many exceptions for many around my age that cannot possibly do the things I was/am able to do. Things do happen to people as they age that they cannot control regardless of how hard they try. While I do consider myself to be lucky, my experiences in life have been most that are "said to have good luck", coincidentally seem to also be the ones that have made "good decisions and worked hard for their good fortune".

Always been one to think everything thoroughly through before making any major decisions in my life's direction. Remember, I got married for the first time at age 62. Was that because of my "good luck", as many of my married friends used to tell me?  Nope, it was my choice, a lot of which I saw happening close around me with friends and family members that married at a young age. Luck !

I do consider myself to be fortunate that with hard work over the last 3 months, I now consider myself once again to be an ice skater. When I posted that I broke a rib falling, a majority of those that responded suggested that "I give up trying before I really hurt myself".

I thought very seriously about which way would be best for me physically and mentally. My decision was to go to Physical Therapy to work on improving my balance, and spending many hours over 3 months at home before I even thought about putting on my ice skates again. I had some minor trepidations before I stepped onto the ice again for sure.

It makes me feel fortunate when I see everything you are going through, both physically and mentally. My wish is that you were able to get through your day without any pain and be able to function more in the many things, I think many take for granted.

Always good communicating with you about any topic, including this one. I am happy your daughters and granddaughters are there to help you when necessary, that is true love for their mother and grandmother.

Take good care of yourself and every time I see your name on any forums I visit, I am sending my good thoughts your way. Say hello to those girls(ladies) that are helping you when you need them,

Your Friend,

JOhn

@hckynut

Thank you for your kind thoughts toward me, John.  And your appreciation for my girls . . . oh, what would I do without my girls! 

As far as "luck," I probably shouldn't have used that word to describe you.  The word I should have used is indomitable.  You are more than "lucky," you just never give up! 

I have always fought the negative things that have happened to me . . . all my adult life.  Many times I was successful, and other times I was not.  But I have always tried.  Unfortunately, there is a limit agewise to one's ability to keep fighting, at least physically.  I still fight in other ways but as soon as it's necessary to disclose my age, I lose credibility (respect?).  My doctors know I'm still strong in my convictions (for sure) . . . but if I'm on the phone with someone, forget it.  I easily see the difference in their tone once that "age" is revealed.  Not fair!!

One thing I've never done is to say I have had "bad luck."  I've never been a "why me?" type person either.  I do accept responsibility for everything that's happened to me, good or bad.  So many have far worse situations than me regarding any of my issues and I am very tuned into that.

As for you, you have an indomitable spirit, which will always make you a winner.  ~Ford

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@151949

Sorry to hear about your fall and hope things are looking up for you by now.  It has taken me awhile to get back to the wellness threads since the loss of my Dad.  Hope this finds you doing much better. I said a prayer for you today.

Trusted Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I was awakened last night by what sounded like a huge wind. I looked out the window and it was pouring - heavy rain plus very very windy.Our AC is broken so we had all the windows & doors open. I rushed around the house slamming windows closed but to close the back door I had to go outside . I was barefoot and when I stepped out onto the wood step my foot slipped and I fell down the remaining 4 steps hit the concrete patio and rolled all the way across it to the grass. Fortunately, nothing is broken, but I wrenched my back which is very sore today, my hip and shoulder are all scraped and sore and my rt hand is just one huge purple bruise.My DH slept right thru it, even though the storm was raging and I was just outside our bedroom. I'm thankful it wasn't much worse.I had to call & call to get my DH awake to help me up, but I felt a little disoriented and it was very dark, I was lying outside in the grass wearing only a thin nightgown and I was soaking wet.What a gosh awful experience.

How are you doing since the fall....hope you are o.k. now...