Respected Contributor

Re: Feeling sick after my shingles shot

@Tyak wrote:

I got the first shingrix shot a week ago and other than a slightly sore arm that night,there were no other reactions to it but the person who gave the shot said that people usually have more of a reaction to the second shot.  I guess I'll know in a couple months.

@Tyak I hearted your post.   I don't think many are aware or are being told that people usually have more of a reaction to the second shot.  

Both DH & I had very little reaction to the first shot, just an extremely sore arm for a prolonged period.  We got flu like symptoms for a day after our second shot.  

Honored Contributor

You can take a cold & flu medication after you get the shingles vacc. That's what my pharmacist told me. It really helped me with the aches, pains and fever I would have had like with the first shot I got...I felt terrible then. But not with the second shot because I took something for it. I took Aleve.

Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover 

I am so afraid. 

My autoimmune disease was set off by either a flu or pneumovax shot.

My white count jumped sky-high. 

I think I was reacting to polysorbate, a preservative in prepared vaccines.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Polysorbate is used in so many things. It must be hard for you @LTT1 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee 

I haven’t had a doctor admit this yet!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Valued Contributor

If you have an auto immune disorder vaccines sometimes do not work & actually hurt your auto immune disease. You should check with your Dr.

Honored Contributor

I had a mild case of Shingles last January, so I got the vaccine.The 1st shot I was fine, no problems, but after the 2nd shot the next day, I was so tired and lethargic, and I had chills so bad, I thought I would have to come home from work. But after work, I went home had dinner, put my jammies on and went to bed early and I was fine. They said it was part of the side effects that you can get..

My sister and my father in law both had severe cases of shingles, especially my father in law who ended up missing our daughter's wedding because his back was so sore he couldn't even put on a shirt, more less travel 14 hours to get here.....

So for me the vaccine was well worth it, hopefully I won't get them again! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Squirrel Lover, I had my 2nd shot yesterday and am feeling the same way you did, although I had no reaction to the 1st one. I have the same symptons you had, and it's not pleasant. I called my doctor today, talked with her nurse and was told that this is normal for some people. She told me to not "baby" my injection arm, but to use it and also to massage it in a circular motion. I guess by not using that arm (since it hurts so much), the vaccine is not dissipating out of the muscle and it's being treated by my body as a foreign object. Good grief. I'm also going to use a warm compress on the muscle.....hopefully I'll feel more normal tomorrow, and I hope you didn't have to put up with feeling so bad for more than 2 days!

Regular Contributor

chickenpox virus remains in your body after having it and can flare up when your immune system is lowered.  Also measles can also do this.  

Regular Contributor

Sorry you had that reaction.  Thank goodness it is shortlived.  Those who have had shingles suffer for week and sometimes months so I guess its worth it