Esteemed Contributor

Re: Feeling sick after my shingles shot

@Squirrel Lover , I had the same reaction to both shots.  I always have a. Faction to the flu shot as well.  The lesser of two evils.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Havarti  Years ago I paid $150. for the first shingles vaccine.  My doctor said the new shot is much better.  I got my first of the series of two at local pharmacy about 10 days ago.  Cost was $20.  

Trusted Contributor

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

Yesterday I received my second shingrix shot and I had the same bad reaction as the first one.

I have a low-grade fever, joint aches, headache, and extreme tiredness. The arm that received the shot is hot to the touch and very sore with a lot of redness. I read on the information they gave that this happens, but whoa, I am feeling really poorly!

I have the same reaction every year when I get the flu shot. My husband didn't get any reaction and never does. 

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Yes!  I had the exact same reactions as you to both shingles shots.  My doctor had warned me in advance so I was prepared to have some down time.  As she said...a day or two of discomfort is better than having shingles.  

I have the same reactions with flu shots...but I guess better safe than sorry.  I would rather take the vaccine than take the risk of going without.  Hope you feel better soon.  

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@rms1954 wrote:

That's why I don't get any vaccinations.

I guess weeks of agony and disruption to your life is better than one day of feeling punk.  What an attitude!

@Kachina624 I agree.  I put up with the little time of illness from a shot rather than getting the disease.  DUH! 

Respected Contributor

When I received my second shot I got sick the next day also.  It was like I had the flu and I was in bed all day.  Could not eat.  But the next day I was fine.  Don't ever hesitate to get a well needed medication just because someone else says "that's why they don't get shots".  Being ill for a little while is better than getting any disease.

Valued Contributor

When you get a medicine or vaccination, your pharmacist or doctor should give you an instruction sheet.  

On my sheet, it said that with either shot, flu like symptoms could occur.  My first injection of Shingrix went smoothly.  However, i did have the flu like symptoms with the second injection.  I went to the Shringrix web site and they also comfirimed that this can be expected in a small percentage of people and it is entirely normal.  The flu like symptoms go away in 48 hours or less. 

Respected Contributor

I guess I have time to think about this. I'm on a very long waiting list at Walmart and Wegman's. They say there is a shortage of the vaccine. 

Respected Contributor

My DH had the same reaction on his second dose.  1st dose was fine.  No matter what better than getting or sharing shingles.  Nasty stuff.

Respected Contributor

@MalteseMomma  Your assumptions about always having immunity if you had the disease is a bit off.  My OBGYN got whooping cough from a patient's child.  She was extremely ill and told me and my DH to go get vacinated since we were expecting a new grandchild.  I had Chicken Pox as a kid and shingles twice as an adult.  I haven't hesitated to get any updated vacines since.  I want to continue to enjoy my retirement and not spread anything to others.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@brandiwine wrote:

@MalteseMomma  Your assumptions about always having immunity if you had the disease is a bit off.  My OBGYN got whooping cough from a patient's child.  She was extremely ill and told me and my DH to go get vacinated since we were expecting a new grandchild.  I had Chicken Pox as a kid and shingles twice as an adult.  I haven't hesitated to get any updated vacines since.  I want to continue to enjoy my retirement and not spread anything to others.

@brandiwine 

I was asking what the Shingles shot does ,NOT telling anyone not to get it! 

I stated that with most diseases , once you get it you are imune  and you do not need a shot but with Shingles you can get them again ,so HOW DOES THE SHOT MAKE YOU IMUNE IF HAVING THEM CANNOT?

That was my question!  What I said also was that I (Me,MY OWN SELF) was not getting the shot!

I NEVER told anyone not to get it!!

Does that satisfy your nasty self!!!!     WOW!