Honored Contributor

Re: Feeling depressed & helpless after surgery

A walker ??? after lap appy? definitely not necessary. 

Honored Contributor

@Ane1Care wrote:
Is it normal to feel depressed because of being helpless after surgery? I can barely move. I had an emergency appendectomy Thursday at 3 pm, after suffering since 3 pm Tuesday with camps and violent....ya know.

I just feel depressed I can get up and down by myself. I can't bent over or walk much. I'm just exhausted.

Sorry you are having trouble .... I guess this surgery took you by surprise.    Just curious, are you prone to depression?    I've had 4 surgeries and never felt depressed afterwards,  but they were all scheduled in advance. 

This is a good time to lay low and take it easy.   Don't try to do too much!      Surely you must have a book or two you've been meaning to read, or this would be a good time to binge watch some TV shows .....   take advantage of the down time, and you'll be up and running around soon.      Take care!

Respected Contributor

I think the frustration is normal for many. Are you alone? Did you have it laprscopically ?  I remember wondering when I would get back to normal. They had given me exercises to do as well as activity orders. I followed them. Mine was an exploratory opreration so I had a nice incision. It hurt to ride in a car for quite a while. I think you have gotten good advice. I think you do need to call the doctor and let the nurse know what you are experiencing. For me it did get better but it took longer than I wanted.

doxie

Respected Contributor

The pain meds could be causing depression too. That was the case with my relative. They may need to change it. 

@151949  Dang, you're tough. Glad you aren't my nurse,  lol. 

Just ribbing you, don't take it too seriously. 

Best advise has been given. Call your doctor. Hope you feel better soon. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:
 I wish these adults who have these surgeries and are whining and don't want to move would see small toddlers after surgery.Up and running around, playing, laughing.

BTW - the worst of the pain after laproscopic surgery is from gas in the abdomen and the more you move around the faster you will get rid of it.

I don't choose to minimize anyone's pain after any type if surgery or procedure. Everyone has their own pain threshold and I am in no position to judge it. 

Certainly I agree with the getting up and moving and the sooner one can safely do so the better. I spent some time as a Patient Advocate on the Heart Floor and Critical Care Floor and part of what I did was try to ease some fears, pre and post procedures.

I feel the last thing any patient needs is someone making them feel guilty because they may fear or are apprehensive about an unknown, quite the opposite in my view.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

197o960mswmbhjpg.jpg (473×600)

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

A walker ??? after lap appy? definitely not necessary. 

@151949

Read the OP's original post.  Note the pain/discomfort/depression and perhaps lack of assistance at home.  Yes, a walker makes sense for someone who is totally dependent on only themselves in a post-op situation where she may feel pain more intensely than you or I.

Each post-op case is different.  One simply cannot generalize.  When you lump everyone into one basket, that's when problems arise and is why I am not a K-si-er patient.

Give the OP a break.

Honored Contributor

@Reba055 wrote:

The pain meds could be causing depression too. That was the case with my relative. They may need to change it. 

Seriously??? People who have actual major surgeries like wipples or AAA or open heart are up and out of bed in a chair by the next morning. Open heart patients are usually sitting in a chair already by the time the morning shift arrives the next day. As soon as all the tubes etc were out so they had the room to walk we walked them around their little cubicle in the ICU then into a chair for at least an hour or so. These are patients who have had the biggest surgeries there are. A lap appy - when the appendix has not burst is about one of the simplest surgeries there is. There is no reason this patient should not be able to be up and walking around unassisted.And actually will feel much better if they are up and around. Clearly the doctors think so too - or they would not send you home.

Valued Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@151949 wrote:
 I wish these adults who have these surgeries and are whining and don't want to move would see small toddlers after surgery.Up and running around, playing, laughing.

BTW - the worst of the pain after laproscopic surgery is from gas in the abdomen and the more you move around the faster you will get rid of it.

I don't choose to minimize anyone's pain after any type if surgery or procedure. Everyone has their own pain threshold and I am in no position to judge it. 

Certainly I agree with the getting up and moving and the sooner one can safely do so the better. I spent some time as a Patient Advocate on the Heart Floor and Critical Care Floor and part of what I did was try to ease some fears, pre and post procedures.

I feel the last thing any patient needs is someone making them feel guilty because they may fear or are apprehensive about an unknown, quite the opposite in my view.

hckynut(john)

Excellent post. If I could give you 100 hearts, I would.

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@Reba055 wrote:

Seriously??? People who have actual major surgeries like wipples or AAA or open heart are up and out of bed in a chair by the next morning. Open heart patients are usually sitting in a chair already by the time the morning shift arrives the next day. As soon as all the tubes etc were out so they had the room to walk we walked them around their little cubicle in the ICU then into a chair for at least an hour or so. These are patients who have had the biggest surgeries there are. A lap appy - when the appendix has not burst is about one of the simplest surgeries there is. There is no reason this patient should not be able to be up and walking around unassisted.And actually will feel much better if they are up and around. Clearly the doctors think so too - or they would not send you home.

Well this is totally not true about the laparoscopic appy surgery. I know because my relative that recently had their's removed was mid 20's, in excellent health. The doctor told us after surgery that it was difficult to remove because of where it was and he ended up having to dig around quite a bit and make additional incisions . He is a top rated surgeon here. He instructed my relative to be extremely careful at home with recovery.  He told us that the pain in post-op would be pretty bad. My relative was given very strong pain meds and ended up very depressed. They had to change the meds. 

Stop making such generalizations. The OP stated they toughed it out for days before seeking help. So did my young family member. To the point of almost allowing it to burst. 

Women spit out babies and are running down the halls in a few hours. Some women have a much harder time and can barely walk for days. I can't believe you are a nurse and don't have enough sense or compassion to realize everyone is different. 

Stop with the suck it up BS. You don't know the circumstances or health history of this person. They should call their doctor and I hope they don't have a nurse like you on staff. 

I'm sorry. Im sure you are trying to say that sometimes things are uncomfortable and we have to push through it. I know, I have my share, but good grief, stop acting like every surgery and recovery for every patient is the same.