Honored Contributor

Re: Feeling Awe May be the Secret to Health/Happiness

[ Edited ]

I think the time I truly experienced awe for the first time as an adult that I will never forget was when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time. The images will remain with me forever. Those images still  make me feel so insignificant and helpless. Made me lose my worries and I felt free.

Another time was when I came face to "face" with a gray whale within a few feet from me...we looked eye to eye at each other. Took my breath away!  A great sense of a strange connection to  nature over came me at that  moment. It wasn't fear at all. It was like a deep feeling of comfort. I felt everything was going to be all right.  Hard to explain exactly.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I think the time I truly experienced awe for the first time as an adult that I will never forget was when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time. The images will remain with me forever. Those images still  make me feel so insignificant and helpless. Made me lose my worries and I felt free.

Another time was when I came face to "face" with a gray whale within a few feet from me...we looked eye to eye at each other. Took my breath away!  A great sense of a strange connection to  nature over came me at that  moment. It wasn't fear at all. It was like a deep feeling of comfort. I felt everything was going to be all right.  Hard to explain exactly.

@SilleeMee  I love reading about your experiences.  When I visited the Grand Canyon I felt the same way.  There are no words to describe how vast and magnificent it is.  And the whale - wow.  I can't imagine coming face-to-face with a whale. What a wonderful experience.     

Honored Contributor

I think I experience awe almost every single day. I have an amazing view out of my kitchen and living room windows and can stare out them for hours if I am not careful, watching the beauty and the various animals that come out to visit. I also take walks out in the forest and the huge, old trees take my breath away, as does the animals and critters I come across. And in spring and summer, the variety and diversity of birds, flowers and plants is amazing. My drive home is beautiful too and I am always taken aback by its' beauty. I also love to look at the sky and all the stars and planets and that certainly instills awe in me, thinking about how extremely minute we are in this big universe and how much we really don't know. The coast blows me away too. This whole world is awe-inspiring to me and should be to everyone, if they only put down their phones and put aside their stresses once in awhile and actually look around and take it all in.

Esteemed Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

I think I experience awe almost every single day. I have an amazing view out of my kitchen and living room windows and can stare out them for hours if I am not careful, watching the beauty and the various animals that come out to visit. I also take walks out in the forest and the huge, old trees take my breath away, as does the animals and critters I come across. And in spring and summer, the variety and diversity of birds, flowers and plants is amazing. My drive home is beautiful too and I am always taken aback by its' beauty. I also love to look at the sky and all the stars and planets and that certainly instills awe in me, thinking about how extremely minute we are in this big universe and how much we really don't know. The coast blows me away too. This whole world is awe-inspiring to me and should be to everyone, if they only put down their phones and put aside their stresses once in awhile and actually look around and take it all in.

@HappyDaze

Your post is beautifully written.  You put into words how I feel much of the time.  Nature is pretty amazing.  You’re lucky to have such nice views from your home.  The first place I try to go to each day is a nearby nature park.  

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Sometimes on my walks I see something in nature that is just so beautiful I look at it in awe....it may just be for a few seconds.....but it is a very lovely calming feeling. For a moment you step outside yourself...do you think that is  what they mean?

@SeaMaiden

I love what you wrote!  And yes, this is the best feeling in the world.  I sometimes will get this feeling that I never knew how to describe --- but I guess "awe" is exactly what it is.  It, for me, happens so inexpectedly and is very fleeting.  I might be driving somewhere and thinking about all the mundane things and all of a sudden I will look up at the sky and it is the most perfect shade of blue and the clouds are so fluffy and white, I just catch my breath.  Or maybe I am sitting out on my back patio and suddely I look up and there are 2 baby deer.  I am so touched or in "awe" that I tear up and have this feeling that I am in another world --- a much better, tranquil world!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I'm in AWE of the Smartphone technology.

Your phone has,

- entire libraries

- any TV show you want to watch

- all your photo albums

- your entire stereo system & album collection

- communication from anywhere in the world

- an answer to any, obscure question you might have

- so many things you can't even imagine.....

.....all in the palm of your hand.