Honored Contributor

Re: Fee to use MYCHART beginning

@granddi wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

I first saw a fee with my cardiologist about two years ago in my portal. It was attached to a follow up phone call in regards to a review of an echocardiogram. I used the portal to request a reply. Insurance paid it in full. 

Since my doctor took time out of his very busy schedule, I was fine with him charging for his time.

would you have been fine with the charge if your insurance did not cover the charges?

And why would it not be covered if the doctor had to respond with a detailed phone call? The purpose of insurance is to help cover medical expenses and it was a given that it would not be denied @granddi . I respectfully do not understand your question.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree   Actually MYChart does offer TeleMed or video chat appointments b/t Dr and patient. They started this when covid shut down everything including actually going to your Dr's office for an in-person appointment. 

Perhaps you don't know this and/or never had to use it - yet.  These types of appointments are charged to us (the patient) and handled as an in-person visit/appointment.

Honored Contributor

@teganslaw   They've been charging for video chats and/or telemed appointments ever since covid stopped the country for a year or two. 

I can't imagine being changed for anythning else if we use MyChart for anything else.

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@chrystaltree   Actually MYChart does offer TeleMed or video chat appointments b/t Dr and patient. They started this when covid shut down everything including actually going to your Dr's office for an in-person appointment. 

Perhaps you don't know this and/or never had to use it - yet.  These types of appointments are charged to us (the patient) and handled as an in-person visit/appointment.

Correct - MyChart has been offering televisits for almost 3 years. 

Respected Contributor

If my doctor starts charging for my chart, I'll go back to calling their office. Which is what I do in most instances anyway.

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 I sincerely apologize that my remark seemed to be directed at you personally. I was just thinking of persons who do not have insurance or maybe insurance that would not cover this fee. I agree that professionals should be compensated for skills, knowledge and time. My insurance covers this service but others might not like having surprise fees. The uninsured or underinsured persons might be dealing with unexpected charges of services normally provided to an established patient.

This topic made me wonder what questions will be billed such as dr replies or any replies?

I can imagine a disclaimer on the site: Please enter your credit card information and your question will be addressed in X hours. Or please acknowlege that you are responsible for charges not covered by your insurance on file. Blah, Blah

Honored Contributor

@granddi wrote:

@Trinity11 I sincerely apologize that my remark seemed to be directed at you personally. I was just thinking of persons who do not have insurance or maybe insurance that would not cover this fee. I agree that professionals should be compensated for skills, knowledge and time. My insurance covers this service but others might not like having surprise fees. The uninsured or underinsured persons might be dealing with unexpected charges of services normally provided to an established patient.

This topic made me wonder what questions will be billed such as dr replies or any replies?

I can imagine a disclaimer on the site: Please enter your credit card information and your question will be addressed in X hours. Or please acknowlege that you are responsible for charges not covered by your insurance on file. Blah, Blah

I understand now what you mean @granddi. I can see where that would be quite a dillema. In fact, I do see your point about surprise charges. Medicine today is nothing like when I was first diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes back in the late 60's. Back then, it was a hands on approach to medical care. Today, I have actually heard diabetics telling me that they had to learn to inject insulin from a video on the internet. Very little aftercare without paying a high price for it.

Honored Contributor

I don't abuse this, but I'm sure some do. I will not pay for this!!! It just makes me feel like they really don't care about the person, and I feel that enough already in life.

Esteemed Contributor

@kitcat51wrote:

I have MyChart & if I'm charged for it I'll delete it, I set it up as an a courtesy to my Dr's office...I'm good with don't contact me, I'll contact you.

@kitcat51me too . I was asked to sign up with 3 different doctors I see . If I'm asked to pay I will delete. I do find it very convenient to ask a flow up question after a visit as sometimes I just forget to ask something and easier to just message rather then calling. Or to get test results I'm anxious to get before my scheduled visit. So I'm hoping this doesn't happen.

Trusted Contributor

@chrystaltreewrote:

I think it will depend on how much research or chart review the doctor has to do to respond. If someone is using MyCHART in place of a visit and the doctor spends time reviewing notes, lab reports etc and takes 30 minutes. Of course there should be a charge. But if a patient as a quick question as a follow up to a recent visit, there should be no charge.

@chrystaltree, what you're referring to is called an e-visit, it's done for uncomplicated health issues where the patient doesn't have to be seen in the office. There is a fee, based on how long it takes the doctor has to review the patient medical records. The amount of the fee based on how long it takes the doctor to review the records. This is fee schedule:

Non Face to Face Online Digital Evaluation & Management Service
99421 5-10 min
99422 11-20 min
99423 21+ min

My insurance doesn't cover this, I don't know if others do. CPT 99423 is billed at $109, this is with Northshore University Health Systems in IL. I don't know what the fee is for the other CPT codes, my cardiologist has only billed me for 99423.