Respected Contributor

Re: Fed government sues to stop stem cell treatments in CA and FL

@chrystaltree

My knee X-rays clearly showed bone-on-bone.......all cartilage was gone, probably worn down by years of strenuous, high-intensity aerobics classes and running a couple miles every other day or so.  Those were the days when I began to experience occasional weakness in that knee, and because I was getting older anyway and wanted to preserve what I had left,  I gave up the running and jumping.   

Then gradually, the knee would swell sometimes, I developed a Baker's cyst, and eventually hobbled into the ortho doc's office convinced (in my own dramatic way) that I might soon lose ability to walk at all.

He diagnosed osteoarthritis aggravated by weak quad muscles.  PT taught me how to keep abdominals and quads in better shape, which I gather helps "pull everything up" and creates less  pressure on anything lower down, including knees.  Whatever the reason, I'm fine and have been for a long time.  (KNOCK ON WOOD!!)

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Last year I had a torn tendon in my foot that would not heal.  The pain was excruciating.  I wore a boot for over 4 months, had more than 12 laser treatments, did PT for 5 months.  Nothing helped.  Finally in late July, I had a stem cell (PRP) treatment in my foot.  Almost immediately, the pain subsided, becoming tolerable so I could go on with my every day life.  By October I had no pain.

Medicare did not pay for the procedure so neither did my secondary insurance.  The cost was worth every dollar as without the stem cell treatment, I do not know how I could have gone on.

I have never seen billboards or TV/radio advertisements for this procedure.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1@lulu1

I know someone personally (a member of our family) who had a stem cell procedure.

Any questions I can answer I would be happy to.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Valued Contributor

I have recently had stem cell shots for Achilles Tendinitis  (March).

It helped my recovery.

I recommend it,

though it's not cheap if your insurance doesn't pay for it.

Around $1,000 a shot.

Respected Contributor

I think the important thing about stem cell treatments is to know exactly what kind of stem cell treatment you're getting,and where those stem cells are being gathered.  The article originally posted makes clear that some treatments are not always emanating from the best, most reliable and scientific sources.

The radio show I listened to on this subject also indicated that there are stem cells and then there are other  types of  stem cells.  Apparently the medical insurance companies and the government know the difference.  Consumers and patients should too, I guess.

I personally have no opinion on this subject.........just passing along news and information in my original post--and especially after repeatedly driving by a cheap-looking sign outside of a less-than-beautiful building advertising the availability of stem cell treatments.