Honored Contributor

Re: Fatty Liver for me... awesome

I am so sorry you have been diagnosed with this disease.  It is quite common and more and more people are diagnosed with it every day.

Too bad you had to push your doctor to diagnose you properly.  I have found that there are doctors who do nothing, but blood  tests and those that run you around getting tests for every little sniffle.  We have to step up and holler when we feel something is wrong.

Check  with your doctor about talking with a dietitian to help you with your diet.  Too much fat in your diet did not cause fatty liver.  

Refined carbs and sugar in the diet contributes to this disease.  You will most probably probably have to cut down on some carbs and avoid sugar and alcohol.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Every year I have my blood tested for various things. I get blood drawn to get a biochem panel performed on it. This includes the liver enzymes ALT and AST. These two enzymes, if elevated, are used to help diagnose liver inflammation. That's usually where a physician initiates further investigation into possible causes. Ruling out certain conditions and/or diseases, for example taking medications, is the next clinical step. 

My lab report is something I look at closely and if anything is out of line then I will discuss it with my doc. It's important.

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 Sorry that you had to suffer for so long only to find out that you have a condition that can be treated.I don’t know anything about fatty liver but from what others have posted it seems that you will be able to control it by diet.I hope that you will heal quickly and feel much healthier soon.It is worrisome to think that your doctors didn’t check you out further when your health wasn’t improving.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

from the Harvard Medical School website:

"NAFLD is difficult to spot as it often has no symptoms. However, NAFLD is sometimes associated with fatigue, weakness, loss of appetite, nausea, weight loss, and abdominal pain.

NAFLD is suspected when a blood test reveals elevated liver enzymes. Usually doctors can make the diagnosis after ruling out other causes, such as viral or drug-induced hepatitis. However, a definite diagnosis requires a liver biopsy — an outpatient procedure in which a needle is inserted into the right side of the abdomen to extract a small piece of liver tissue.

While currently no drug treatment is available, it's possible to stop further liver damage and maybe even reverse NAFLD's effects if you start early enough. "Treating NAFLD focuses on reducing or preventing further fatty buildup in the liver by addressing the underlying causes — obesity, diabetes, and elevated blood lipids," says Dr. Corey. The best way to do that is by weight loss using the two major means for achieving health: exercise and diet."

as an RN for 42 years I learned that most physicians do care about their patients and want to do the right thing for them. in many cases today's health care system & reimbursement structure often cause physicians to take the most conservative approach to health care & diagnosis. two of the most important things I learned over the years: patients must educate themselves in order to be their own best advocate. 

@LTT1, you are smart to be so proactive and I know you also have learned to advocate for yourself. it's your best defense.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Super Contributor

they diagnosed my mom with this from blood tests. Her ver enzymes were consistently elevated until it turned into cirrhosis. I didn't realize the condition could be reversed. That's fantastic!!  She refused to lose weight' exercise or eat properly.  Her choice.

I don't know what to make of the article mentioning eating cholesterol. I've read studies that dietary cholesterol does not impact blood cholesterol. ???  I have high cholesterol but it's hereditary. 

Valued Contributor

It can also be cause by an autoimmune disease. It can be caused by alcoholism or another kind of non alcoholic disease which is autoimmune and not alcohol related , And yes it can be caused by diet..

cathy from ma

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949

You are so right! Thanks❤️

@morganjen

Yes...cut the sugar Thanks❤️

@Bird mama

HIDA scan...thanks! I am so sorry they found a necrotic gall bladder in your mom.😰

@sidsmom

Great information! I can’t wait to read it!

@software

I am very sorry for your diagnosis and also your son’s diagnosis. It does sound like he is on the road to being very healthy! Maybe he will experience a healed liver! I read that the liver is the only organ capable of regenerating itself! YAY🎉 

@QueenDanceALot

maybe our healthcare system sucks! I’m so glad to belong to this forum because all of you are so willing to share your experiences/knowledge! I learn a lot❤️

@PamfromCT

Maybe I will go to Medical school! 😂jk 

I do have an appt coming up with another doctor. I have been researching our present M plan. It helps to be informed. My present PCP said that he can’t “get anybody to pay for services, including nutritionists. 

I am so sorry for your travails with your mom— that Is HARD.

@Drythe

You are so smart to insist on the liver panel...don’t blame you one bit...stay well❤️

@chrystaltree

diagnosis is an art” thank you so much for reminding me with your wise words❤️

@Carmie

good point...my diet has been pretty conservative about fats...I do have a bad sweet tooth and rarely eat enough fruits and veggies. Just did not realize the damage I was doing.

@SilleeMee

Good idea! My labs were all normal with terrible cholesterol values. But talking with my PCP guy is a good idea. The ALT and AST values have always been normal, isn’t that strange? Maybe this is why it is hard to diagnose? 

When I started with medicare, our IM family doctor was dropping his patients who had medicare. Add to that, getting settled with the new PCP took some time. Far too long to get comfortable communicating with new PCP.

I don’t know how my doctor is paid thru medicare, but he seems reluctant to give referrals. 

So glad that I returned to my previous GI doctor for the f/u colonoscopy and CT scan.

I have an excellent relationship/communication with him.❤️

@dex

Thanks! You said it so well.

@MariotaMurielle

patients must educate themselves in order to be their own best advocate. ” I knew you would come through for me with your wise words...thank you for your post❤️

@adamlambert

I am sorry about your mom 😰

@twinkies

Thank you❤️ Diet and exercise will now be getting as much focus as possible from me. I will not be encouraging “Chicky Fay” (Chick Fil a) with the grandkids this time ❤️

Thank you all so much for sharing your knowledge and time with me...it means so much❤️

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LTT1

Here’s a really good webinar talking about Fatty Liver Disease...

what it is, what the cause, how to correct.

I’m not producing a link, but just type ‘mastering diabetes fatty liver’

in your search engine & it will pop up.  I also captured a

screen shot of the webinar.  Very informative.

You are going to get a lot of ‘causes’...most which are slightly related

but the major cause is dietary fat...it says it right in the term..’FATty Liver.’

I encourage you to educate yourself...this webinar being one of

many things to watch/read.  HTH! 🌼💛

ETA: Conservative fats need to be looow....like 10-15% of total calories.

Your health depends on this. Big changes need big changes. 

D42E3770-B8E5-49D8-A806-701401FFBE79.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom

Thank you for the free webinar link...I found it and have it bookmarked.

Yes, for many years I prided myself on my diet of quality protein. I needed to be more educated.

Salmon has NO FIBER...duh.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@sidsmom

Thank you for the free webinar link...I found it and have it bookmarked.

Yes, for many years I prided myself on my diet of quality protein. I needed to be more educated.

Salmon has NO FIBER...duh.

It’s a learning curve.

Just focus on the reduction of dietary fats...removing animal products/byproducts..and I bet you’ll see immediate results.

Webinar: if you want to skip over the introductions, the presentation

gets in around the 16:00 mark.  Education, education, education.