Honored Contributor

Has anyone eaten Farro?

If so, how did you prepare?

I would assume it has a barley/wheat taste/texture.

TIA!

Honored Contributor

Yes, farro the ancient grain is basically a wheat berry, just cook it per package instructions. I have put it in soups and used it in salads, very nutritious and has a nice chewy texture.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I love it with a little butter as a side dish. It is easy to cook, same as brown rice. I follow the directions and cook it covered until the water is gone. 

Respected Contributor

Yes. I just cook it and then reheat to use as we would rice or to toss with veggies and vinaigrette as a salad. My husband likes a cold Greek salad with tomatoes, lettuce, olives, farro, and feta. We are no longer vegetarians, but we not big meat eaters, either, so the protein in farro is good! 

Honored Contributor

I love to put veggies in it for a cold salad with a little oil and vinegar dressing.

Honored Contributor

This grain is new to me. I've never tried it, but would love to! I enjoy eating red quinoa. How does farro compare with quinoa?

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

This grain is new to me. I've never tried it, but would love to! I enjoy eating red quinoa. How does farro compare with quinoa?

Quinoa is a seed so it's more...delicate.

Farro has a toothier feel & much more substantial.

IMO farro is more satiating.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I've cooked with einkorn and spelt, which are two types of farro grains, the other being emmer. I've never cooked them whole though, I've milled them and made things with the flour. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

I love farro. It seems to be a seasonal item at Costco so when they're carrying it, I stock up on it & buy multiple bags. When I make it, I use organic vegetable broth instead of water.

Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

Yes, I've cooked with einkorn and spelt, which are two types of farro grains, the other being emmer. 

@jaxs mom

Emmer. Einkorn. Heavens! Unusual!  You've given me lots of ideas for things to try.   I eat a lot of grains, but I'm tiring of basic rice/wheat/oats.  Nutritionally, it's good to shake things up.  Thanks!

BTW: I've been drinking my wheat berry Rejuevlac. Hesitant to drink something which was fermenting on my counter for days, but I haven't died yet!  Ha and all those wonderful natural probiotics, to boot.  Now I have to consider sprouting, like you suggested...!