Respected Contributor

Re: Farewell WW

[ Edited ]

@BlueFinch wrote:

Whether a weight loss program has you counting points, or you're on an Atkin's style diet, or cabbage soup, etc.,  They all amount to lowering calories. When you think about it, there's nothing ground breaking about these programs. Some will just find one easier to follow, than the other. But, losing weight remains HARD. Food is one of our greatest needs, AND, joys.  Changing our thinking about food is the biggest challenge.  

The most successful weight loss is healthy eating, with good proteins and lots of vegetables to help with appetite control.  Avoiding sugar and high glycemic carbs is good for everyone, dieting, or not.  We can, however, enjoy some lower glycemic carbs and an occasional treat.  Life is too short not to.

My guide to avoiding sugar and high glycemic carbs is using the south beach guide. You do not have to read a book with stories and receipes. Just get the pocket guide.

A daily food journal, with calorie counting has somehow become an 'ancient, dated' diet program, when NO program will be successful, if we take in too many calories. It IS a fact. It's just as easy to count calories (maybe easier) than counting points, or some of the other tedious things other programs require.

Exercise is always needed, but when dieting it helps maintain and build muscle.  More muscle, more calorie burn, even at rest.  It's why guys lose weight easier. And, exercise strengthens bones. You don't like to lose weight and challenge your structure.  

I'm always amazed when taking a power walk of 2.5 to 3 miles, to find I only burned about 97 calories.  Really!  My coffee with some creamer in it was that much. It just ain't easy.  

Honored Contributor

Have you done the program, it does work if you work it. It is a delicate balance and sometimes takes a little tweaking and a lot of work

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Regular Contributor

With all the unlimited resouces OPRAH has - can't imagine why any one would think that WW works.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Farewell WW

[ Edited ]

@Shelbella262 

One has nothing to do with the other, Oprah does not create the plan , I know she is disliked by many, she had a small interest in ww and does not set the plan what so ever.

@Shelbella262 wrote:

With all the unlimited resouces OPRAH has - can't imagine why any one would think that WW works.  

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Weight loss is a matter of trial and error.

One person may swear that the program that they used is the end all be all of all diets, and if you just really dedicated yourself to it, it will work for you too.

Do you know what I say to that?

I say, "Bull**it!!" .

What worked for one, won't necessarily work for another, no matter how dedicated they are to the diet.

You have to find your own path, and find what works for YOU.

Not what worked for someone else.

YOU.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Super Contributor

Deal A Meal !!!    OMG   take me back...I had the cards back in the 1980's. I did pretty well...I think bc it forced me to watch what I was eating and to plan to eat three times a day. Pretty sure you had snacks as well

Honored Contributor
@StillRachB just a suggestion to look into healthy keto. I’ve been eating this way since mid June of last year and have lost 118 lbs. We love the variety of foods and even have things like cheesecake, coconut cream pie, pumpkin pie, cookies. They’re just made with different ingredients. If you have any questions, I’d be happy to help you.
Super Contributor
@JeanLouiseFinch I’ve tried keto a couple of times....not for me....actually created some potential health issues.
Honored Contributor

@StillRachB I feel you because I was in the same place.  No WW doesn't work for everyone no matter how hard they are "working" the program.

A number of years ago I lost 104 pounds on WW. I lost the majority of it on their first ever points program called 1,2,3 Success Program.  As I got very close to reaching goal, they changed the program to I think Winning Points or something like that and it was downhill for me from then on.  I lost the rest of my weight but I have hated every iteration of WW programs since then. 

I detested when they introduced flexpoints.  It was too much tweaking and this and that trying to figure out how many of those flexpoints I could eat and still lose weight.  It wasn't much.  LOL 

Unfortunately after I reached goal, I thought I was cured and put weight back on.  Every program after the one where I reached my goal has not been a program I could work with.  I lose a decent amount the first week and then no matter what, I lose under a pound or stay the same in subsequent weeks.  I finally realized the new plan just isn't for me.

I decided I just needed a healthier relationship with food and that's what I've been doing.  No regimented program, no counting points, calories, fat, blah, blah, blah.  I try to make healthier choices and eat less.  Some days I'm successful and some days not so much.  I've lost weight but it has been a slow go.  However, I don't think about food like I used to and I don't chastise myself if I have a cookie here and there.           

Super Contributor
@Lipstickdiva exactly what I’m experiencing. I’ll lose a few lbs the first week (probably water) and then nothing.