Honored Contributor

Re: FOR THOSE WHO THINK THEY ARE INFORMED MEDICAL PEOPLE

@hckynutjohn wrote:

Appears to be a copy/paste and way too long for me to want to read. I have never been a copy/paste person, neither posting them or reading them. 

As far as thinking I am an "informed medical person"? When it comes to "my"  ton of medical issues, I feel I am very well informed, from diagnosis/prognosis and any and all therapy/recovery necessary.

I am not one to speculate on others medical issues. Should someone ask me a question directly, I can offer them my opinion from my own experiences while suggesting they see their doctor.

Not really sure what precipitated this thread, maybe I missed something. 

hckynut(john)

John, what started it was another thread where the OP (of both threads) said that she has spinal stenosis and her way of dealing with it was to walk around Costco for an hour every day hanging over a shopping cart and she carries a uber heavy handbag which she shifts from arm to arm for some reason. I said that no doctor would ever advise a patient to carry a heavy handbag as a form of therapy nor to walk around for an hour draped over a shopping cart and that people should go to PT and learn the proper way to exercise so they help , not further hurt themselves. 

Honored Contributor

@jobran wrote:

In no way did I think the OP was an "informed medical person".  She really should have just posted the link instead of c&p it.

Anyone can google.

Apparently she thinks she's getting points for being "wordy".  I'm not in the mood to read all that.  All I know is that I've had it for over 10 years, I've tried everything, nothing has helped, I've been told but three neurosurgeons that surgery won't help.  So I sit.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 Yeah, and I also have cervical stenosis. That's a treat 😡

Honored Contributor

Here's how it works:     When you drop the heavy purse, and quit bending over the cart......you feel much better.     It's like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer when you have a headache.   

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Here's how it works:     When you drop the heavy purse, and quit bending over the cart......you feel much better.     It's like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer when you have a headache.   

Oh OK , now I get it.

Respected Contributor

videos are worth 100,000 words:

quick snapshot:

What is Spinal Stenosis? - Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - DePuy Videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31RuBxzXhr0

30 minute web presentation:

Lumbar Spinal Stenosis : Diagnosis and Treatment Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMEkjGHZ7o0

Honored Contributor

yes, and on the video having to lean over a shopping cart is presented as a SYMPTOM  - not as a treatment. 

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

And when one does google they can get both correct and incorrect information. 

@151949

1.  If you are an informed individual with experience in the healthcare industry; have had "some" clinical vocabulary education; have on board what you might term a wealth of knowledge per your experience or that of someone close to you; and/or, have someone close to you with that knowledge, then if you have clinical questions and desire more information, I'd recommend the Mayo Clinic's website.  It can address disorders and diseases for you and breaks down the information into appropriate sections.

2.  If you don't have any of the above, it would honestly be best for you to take questions to your physician or nurse practitioner.

(3.)  Some physicians will advise their patients not to seek information on the internet and many times that's good advice.  However, if you have a grounding as above and can read with understanding and without panicking, go to it. 

Respected Contributor

OP, you may have meant well, but there is no way I am going to read your entire post.  It's just too long and doesn't  have paragraphs.  It's torture to read it.

Honored Contributor

I gave up responding to any post about mammography, as I am a former radiologic technologist and certified mammographer.. because so many non medical people know more than I..  I got jumped on for suggesting see your physcian... It's like some can and us professionals can't..  Go figure! 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee